• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lowercase O with umlaut in the Index is always uppercase

Engaged ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a medical text for a client. The author mentions Sjogren's Disease (and syndrome). There is an umlaut over the lowercase o. The index entry insists on making this an uppercase O (mit der umlaut).. 

• The text in the body uses the lowercase o. I copy and paste it into the index entry. It becomes uppercase.
  • I have tried to paste just the one character. The Index dialog inserts an uppercase glyph.
  • I have opened the glyph dialog and tried to insert it that way, but the Index dialog is having none of it.

How does the community suggest that I insert a lowercase o (mit der umlaut) into the index? The author insists on it. <sigh> I suppose I can do this manually with every revision of the index...

-j

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

It looks like you have selected the wrong glyph, if that's how you got it into the main text. There are two that look like lower case... but one is the "small caps" version. My guess is that's the one you picked; You want the Unicode 00F6 one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to reproduce this.

What are your specs? (typeface, disctionary, etc.)

Can you share a sample page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm at a loss.

Font is Work Sans (a Google font).

ID: 16.3 x64 (win 10) both updated.

This image shows Sjogren's Syndrom as it appears in text, with a lowercase o (umlaut). Next to it is the Index DB, showing the same text pasted in. You can see the uppercase O (umlaut). I have also tried this on a single-character basis.

index_db.png

Here is another example of the text as it appears in the running text of the document:

sjrgren_in_text.png

Here is how the index entry appears in the Index after it is compiled.

index_uppercase.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have selected the wrong glyph, if that's how you got it into the main text. There are two that look like lower case... but one is the "small caps" version. My guess is that's the one you picked; You want the Unicode 00F6 one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DOH! (forehead smack)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines