• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major Document Preview Rendering Problems in InDesign 2022!

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, this only happens when you have a client coming to review work today.

Installed the new InDesign and Monterey last night on my M1 MacBook Pro.  Now when I open a simple coupon, it fails to render correctly on my BenQ 32" monitor.  Everything else in the suite (as far as I know) works fine.  But my preview (in GPU or CPU) looks like sliced bread (see attached edges of my project).  And it gets worse when you try to move the document around.  2021 and everything before it worked fine.  Why isn't this rendering correctly?

Does anybody have a fix for this?  If not, is there anyway to reinstall 2021?  How do we get through to Adobe with serious, productivity-stopping issues like this?

Let me know if you're having the same problem.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

There is a strange but known problem with M1 and external diplays connected as THUNDERBOLT with a thunderbolt cable. I had this with my LG. Change the cable to a standard USB-C cable (without the Thunderbolt logo!) and your problem will be solved. I know, this seems strange but it is a known workaround. It is not specific to InDesign by the way it will happen in the Finder etc. as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more I (frantically) try to figure this out the more I realize there are even more problems with ID2022.  My M1 MBP with 16GB of RAM is choking when this thing is open.  Something is definitely wrong with the memory handling.  Now I have time when everything about the program locks up on the screen and I can't even move the window around.

How do I get out of this and resinstall 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first lesson to learn here is to never uninstall the old version when a new one comes out and if you migrated settings and preferences, try trashing them. If that doesn't work, uninstall / reinstall.

That out of the way, you can easily re-install InDesign 2021 from the CC Desktop app. Under all apps, scroll to InDesign, click on the ... and you'll see "other versions."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a strange but known problem with M1 and external diplays connected as THUNDERBOLT with a thunderbolt cable. I had this with my LG. Change the cable to a standard USB-C cable (without the Thunderbolt logo!) and your problem will be solved. I know, this seems strange but it is a known workaround. It is not specific to InDesign by the way it will happen in the Finder etc. as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it try. One question: I am connecting my external monitor via a OWC Thunderbolt hub. Do I connect to the macbook to the hub with UBS-C and the external monitor to hub with USB-C as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My monitor is connected with HDMI to my Mac Mini M1 and I see the same problems as I had with my thunderbolt cable from my MacBook Pro. Anything I can learn from that!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, it should be a Thunderbolt-only problem... if not, then there is something else I'm afraid... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is connected with standard USB-C and the problem only exists in In Design quite specifically. Luckily I am still running the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the exact same problem, and I have the exact same setup (even the BennQ 32", it's like we're doppegängers!). 

I just reverted back to INDD2021 and I'll wait for them to patch 2022. 

Sorry I don't have a real solution. What a clusterf•ck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues but on my intel based mac, I had wondered if it was due to the Adobe update for the M1 chip not working well with the intel chip but if you get the same thing it must be something else. Its annoying and I am pleased I didn't uninstall the older version. I hope they fix it soon, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem on my old but trustworthy MBP '16 and God it's annoying. Especially considering how much is paid for this. Had to reinstall ID2021 which works flawlessly. Personally, I think that the inability to view the file correctly is totally unacceptable. C'mon Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem after installing InDesign 2022. Screen glitches - especially when scaled to 25/50/75%. Can't work that way... My machine is a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" i9 with AMD 5500m GPU and 64GB RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem seems to come from the UI-Scaling in the preferences.

When I put it back to "small" everything works fine. 
But actually the scaling is definitely needed as I work with an external 4k Monitor -- the icons are too small without the scaling activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep me too, gone back to old version !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm staying with 2021 for now. The 2022 version is a hot mess.

I'm using a macbook M1 pro 14 and a mac mini M1. Both have issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually thought that it was my computer (MacBook Pro 2015) that was the problem with my new 28" screen!! So I went and bought a new Mac Mini M1 today so I could get back to work again!!!!! This is the first time that I seriously have somthing bad to say about Adobe! You guys in support?!?! Can you at least acknowledge that you are aware of this problem!??! And maybe send me 1400€ for my Mac I apparently bought for nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We feel your pain. A bunch of us have preview issues. Ranging from a 2015 MBP to multiple M1 MBPros. We also have come across type that changes, and even disappears when toggling in/out of preview mode. You thought you made that text change... think again.

Issues persists in:

- Indesign 2021 and 2022 (most noticeable in 2022)

- Intel and M1 machines

- Machines ith clean installs and nothing carried over

- macOS Monterey, but also showed up in previous versions

- we continuously run into the preview issue without any common denominators. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines