• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make all text in sentence bold after number

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to change headings in T&C's to be bold.

For example:

3.8 What is your smoking policy?

For the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, our ships are designated as non-smoking; however, we recognise that some of our guests do smoke. Therefore, to provide an onboard environment that also satisfies smokers, we have designated certain areas of the ship as smoking areas. Cigarette, cigar, e-cigarette and pi

I used to have GREP or Nested Style that changed the copy to bold after every occurrence of a number at the beginning of a sentence but cannot find the InDesign file that it was set up on.

Can someone please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

(?s)\d+\.\d+\h.+

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why no use paragraph numbering with a character style for the number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

What I'm after is to have one paragraph style called Body Copy and for a GREP Style or Nested Style to kick in when it sees a number that makes the whole paragraph bold ie

Original paragraph:

For the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, our ships are designated as non-smoking; however, we recognise that some of our guests do smoke. Therefore, to provide an onboard environment that also satisfies smokers, we have designated certain areas of the ship as smoking areas. Cigarette, cigar, e-cigarette and pi

Because the paragraph/sentence starts with a 3 it automatically formats as bold

Desired result:

I know that I'll have to have a character style that replicates the settings of the paragraph style but with a bold font selected. I don't particularly want to have to find every heading and change the paragraph style manually.

The reason being is I have 20 languages to format with over 50 headings in each one.

So I need to know what the GREP or Nested style settings are.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(?s)\d+\.\d+\h.+

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

Thank you for this.

Would you mind educating me how you came up with that GREP Style so I can try to understand the methodology.

Cheers

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’d still have to assign it so what’s the point in grep? Just create a bold paragraph style and apply it.

There’s nothing magic about this. You might want to pop over to the scripting forum and see anyone can help with a quick script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Michel came up with the right answer.

Cheers

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m aware of that but you still have to apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

No! ... As Grep style!

One para style but 2 different behaviors triggered by the Grep style!

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One note:

I totally agree with BobLevine

For numbering better use another paragraph style with numbering (automatically). The grep style is correct but if you have to insert one or more new paragraphs you always have to change all the following numbering.

I only say: deep nested numbering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pixxxel!

It's a long time! …

The demand was about a Grep code, not about an auto-numbering!

Of course, if, for some "good" reasons, this numbering could be relevant, I could give such an advice!

… But I read plenty of cases where the choice of an auto-numbering was totally irrelevant! …

Here, no information about an hypothetical matter of deletion or addition of a numbered para! …

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi OWK,

sometimes it is better to look behind the scenes.

Like Forrest Gump, you can waiting for the bus number 9 - or walk the short distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the entire paragraph to be bold as in your example, you only need a paragraph style.

If you want the number to be different, you can do it with nested styles as you suggest, or with bullets and numbering.

Create a character style for the number. Choose Bullets and Numbering from the Paragraph (or Control) panel menu, choose Numbering, and apply the character style to the number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob said it faster and post first!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines