• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make an interactive catalogue that redirects you to a page after multiple selections?

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have never needed to use any of the interactive features of InDesign but i'm now looking into a way to make an interactive PDF or HTML version of a catalogue by using InDesign.

I want to be able to make an interactive catalogue where you would be redirected to a catalogue page based on three or more selections. Preferably with the use of pulldown menus (on one page).

For example :

In the first pulldown menu I would select 1B, in the second Pulldown menu I would select 2E and in the third Pulldown menu I would select 3D. After this selection you would automatically be redirected to a page (or by clicking a button after selecting all three pulldown menu's).

Erembodegem_0-1614672031611.png

Is this possible in Indesign at the moment to design a catalogue that way?

Regards,

Niels

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

You need a website, not a PDF. If you insist on PDF jump over to the Acrobat forum and ask for advice there because you'll never get this to work with InDesign without a ton of work.

There is simply no easy way to accomplish this with any desktop program I'm aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This project sounds like a perfect reason to use InDesign's animation features and Publish Online export ability. Another option would be to use the In5 plug-in from Ajar Productions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

I have been searching on the internet for examples of what i'm trying to do but can't find any with multiple selections on one page/screen. Because i'm not been able to find any of this online, it is difficult for me to get a starting point on my search for youtube tutorial video's or tutorial webpages on this. I find plenty of info on using one selection to do an interactive task (like go to a page) but can't find any information if InDesign is capable of doing multiple selections and creating an output from that.

Any direction, info, example would be very helpfull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a website, not a PDF. If you insist on PDF jump over to the Acrobat forum and ask for advice there because you'll never get this to work with InDesign without a ton of work.

There is simply no easy way to accomplish this with any desktop program I'm aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob for your reply, this is all I needed to know before continuing my search!

I will look for other and more suitable solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Wordpress fan but there are other solutions available as well. Squarespace and Webflow are both quite good but you are married to the platform for everything including hosting.

Do your research before jumping into anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a quick correction to Bob Levine's answer above. With Webflow you are not married to the platform for hosting. Webflow can export your entire project (HTML, CSS, JS, and all assets) to allow hosting on the platform of your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines