Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manually Change Footnote Numbering

Engaged ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a document with multiple stories on a spread. i would like some of the footnotes to be numbered consecutively. I know that InDesign won't flow the numbers from one story to another, but is there any way to manually change the numbers? I would only have to do this one or two times.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obi-wan Kenobi I've come back asking for an explanation

Until now I've been threading the boxes, but it's starting to cause issues (text wrap and spacing going all wonky).

Can you explain what you did in simpler terms? I have pretty much no background in scripting (yet.)

I followed you until the GREP that automatically causes the footnote reference number to become invisible. How do initiate that? Also, if I've got other lists in this document, will the numbering in the footnotes mess those up?

Thanks so much! And apologies, again, for not seeming to show interest earlier, but truthfully your answer just went over my head and threading the boxes was simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out a different way of causing the original numbers to be invisible, however how do I get rid of the quotes in the cross-reference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Time now, sorry!

And even less time when I see somebody just indicates now as useful Steve Werner's "without interest" comment [post#5]!!! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

however how do I get rid of the quotes in the cross-reference?

Did you get this figured out? You can edit an x-ref format and remove any quotes.

InDesign CCss_005.png

InDesign CCss_006.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you. I figured it out.

It's just the first time that I've ever inserted a cross-reference, so I had to explore my options a bit before figuring it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries. We are always happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it's your limited English or a warped sense of humor, but you still haven't explained it.

And it's starting to look like you didn't really do it automatically.

Boo! Bad boy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Vamitul,

I was somewhere on that plain, but didn't have the patience to go through it all.

Too bad Obi Wan didn't just explain it when he posted his original illustrations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this still does not work. The automatic numbers do not increase… for me, they always begin at 1. (Yes, I have the numbers set to a List. The numbers increase in normal paragraphs, but not in footnotes.)

Has anyone gotten this to work except Obi-wan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only want Adobe forum visitors to be more curious. And try to figure it out themselves?

THAT'S NOT THE REASON THEY ARE HERE!

They come to these boards for the answers. Not to be teased.

Maybe your foreign background and lack of English skills has confused you.

Let me be clear.

Don't show that you've solved a problem if you don't show others how it's done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if I've offended. I think I've figured it out anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not you! I talked about someone whose avatar is "amaarora"!

I'll take time to help you later! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is it they say? – Any fool can make something sound complicated. It takes a true expert to simplify something so all can understand it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines