• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Margins bigger on right side

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a whole bunch of spreads based off one of two masters in a document that will likely be printed and put in a binder/displayed online as a PDF. On my screen in InDesign, each spread appears to have an equal right and left margin. Document and print setting also show equally sized margins. However, when I print, the margin on the right side is bigger for both pages in a spread. I've tried changing the liquid layout settings to no avail. I also tried toggling "facing pages" which did nothing. The masters also print with uneven margins, so it must be either an issue with the master spreads, a document setting, or a print setting, I think. Any suggestions of settings to change would be much appreciated!  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check if your page margins are set equally by selecting the document page or master page that you want to check in the Pages Panel and going under the Layout Menu to Margins and Columns. There it will tell you how the margin guides are set up and you can change them there if you wish. However, this will not assure that the actual text frames that you are using are actually aligned to those margins. Click on your text frame and see if it is actually aligned to the margin guides. If the text frame is actually aligned but the text is not then check the paragraph format panel to see if there is any right or left indent added and also check in the Text Frames Options dialog (Command-B on a  Mac and Control-B on a PC) to see if any inset spacing has been set in the text frame. For a document that has only one page size and orientation Liquid Layout is not necessary and should be turned off. If you actually want the inner margins of a spread to be larger (to accommodate the gutter) then set up the job in Facing Pages and in the New Document Dialog choose a different value for inner and outer margins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The uneven margins are most likely your printer feeding the paper unevenly. We have had ours occasionally drift so much that there is no margin on one side, and a half-inch on the other (instead of the expected 1/4 inch of white all around).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to printing on a desktop printer, you should make sure you choose Center in your print options under Setup, Page Position.

See screenshot.

Print off center.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks! I have actually already done this to no avail, but this is a good suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you print the gray box (above) to see if it is the printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I had this issue and your suggestion fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see if it is the printer, create a new document. Add a light gray rectangle that covers the entire page, and see how it prints. Is it centered, or off-set to one side or another? If so, in addition to Jeff's suggestion, the printer may have centering controls.

InDesign CCss_007.pngInDesign CCss_008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased and downloaded an adobe stock indesign template and have the same issue...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a super old thread--you would be better off starting a new one (and give more details). 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did but when I was searching to see if a topic about the same issue had already been posted, I saw this one...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock-discussions/adobe-stock-indesign-template-size/m-p/13055772

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it is related. Did you change the page size?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. and i said adjust layout (i think is what it is called) and maybe booklet / magazines / newsletters have a smaller margin in the middle of facing pages... i also changed the facing pages to just 1 page.  I guess i could go and adjust all the template pages to make it print correctly, but I'm thinking I shouldn't have to do that.  Did you look at my screen shot?  And I do have another thread started about this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines