• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory problem with InDesign 2023 Quicklook feature

Participant ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using MacOS Ventura and I keep my work computer turned on 24/7 so I can connect to it from home. 

I found a memory leak in the new InDesign Quicklook feature.

I was experiencing sluggishness like when memory runs out but couldn't see that I was doing something I haven't done before. There's 24 GB RAM in my Mac and it seldom runs out.

I had a look at the Activity Monitor and saw the InDesign Quicklook plugin using almost 7 GB RAM!

I force quit it and it restarts at about 250 MB RAM. Now it's 3-4 days later and it's up to 1 GB RAM. Looks like it's slowly eating up memory and since I dont turn off my Mac it builds up.

Posting this as a heads up to others. Don't know how to send in a bug report to Adobe but maybe someone here knows about that?

InDesign 1.jpg

Back at 1 GB RAM after a few days

InDesign 2.jpg

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having been a longtime InDesign user I had never heard of an InDesign Quicklook feature.

A search suggests it's a Markzware extension:

https://markzware.com/id-util/get-quicklook-finder-previews-adobe-indesign-files-id-util-macos/

Is that what you have installed? If so, you should contact Markzware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I assumed everyone had read the release notes for inDesign 2023.

So it's built in now.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/whats-new/2023.html#doc-preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't call it QuickLook. In their documentation, it's just the ability to preview documents. The name confused me. I don't spend much time using features about my Mac's memory and have never experiended memory problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had to look at Activity Monitor for a very long time, but I see that the InDesign Extension is referred to there as QuickLook, but you're the first person I've heard mention it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't looked into this from a technical standpoint. I had memory problems and a sluggish Mac and it was recently after the Adobe 2023 updates so I took a look at the activity and I knew that anything called QuickLook shouldn't use 7 GB RAM.

After I started the thread I've had the sluggishness occur once more and then it only used 3 GB RAM but a force quit makes the Mac responsive again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quicklook is Mac OS Spotlight. What you are seeing is the Mac OS Quicklook taking up memory to preview the InDesign document. The memory leak has been an issue for a long time daing back to High Sierra:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8506070

https://9to5mac.com/2021/11/26/three-monterey-bugs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used QuickLook plugins to view InDesign documents since they became available. First ArtView for a long time and when it died I've used Markz tools and also a third one avaialble at the AppStore. I've never had this problem before. So I think the Adobe implementation is a new problem. Maybe in combo with other bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think so, but I've seen this problem for years.

You can search for and upvote or file a new bug report here:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Easier fix is just turning it off. How do we disable it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines