I'm using MacOS Ventura and I keep my work computer turned on 24/7 so I can connect to it from home.
I found a memory leak in the new InDesign Quicklook feature.
I was experiencing sluggishness like when memory runs out but couldn't see that I was doing something I haven't done before. There's 24 GB RAM in my Mac and it seldom runs out.
I had a look at the Activity Monitor and saw the InDesign Quicklook plugin using almost 7 GB RAM!
I force quit it and it restarts at about 250 MB RAM. Now it's 3-4 days later and it's up to 1 GB RAM. Looks like it's slowly eating up memory and since I dont turn off my Mac it builds up.
Posting this as a heads up to others. Don't know how to send in a bug report to Adobe but maybe someone here knows about that?
Back at 1 GB RAM after a few days
Having been a longtime InDesign user I had never heard of an InDesign Quicklook feature.
A search suggests it's a Markzware extension:
Is that what you have installed? If so, you should contact Markzware.
Adobe doesn't call it QuickLook. In their documentation, it's just the ability to preview documents. The name confused me. I don't spend much time using features about my Mac's memory and have never experiended memory problems.
I haven't had to look at Activity Monitor for a very long time, but I see that the InDesign Extension is referred to there as QuickLook, but you're the first person I've heard mention it.
I haven't looked into this from a technical standpoint. I had memory problems and a sluggish Mac and it was recently after the Adobe 2023 updates so I took a look at the activity and I knew that anything called QuickLook shouldn't use 7 GB RAM.
After I started the thread I've had the sluggishness occur once more and then it only used 3 GB RAM but a force quit makes the Mac responsive again.
Quicklook is Mac OS Spotlight. What you are seeing is the Mac OS Quicklook taking up memory to preview the InDesign document. The memory leak has been an issue for a long time daing back to High Sierra:
I've used QuickLook plugins to view InDesign documents since they became available. First ArtView for a long time and when it died I've used Markz tools and also a third one avaialble at the AppStore. I've never had this problem before. So I think the Adobe implementation is a new problem. Maybe in combo with other bugs.