Microsoft fonts into InDesign or Illustrator?

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get Microsoft fonts (specifically Khmer UI, Khmer Sangam MN) to load and be useable in InDesign and Illustrator? I see and use them in Microsoft but they are not working well in InDesign. Some characters are missing. I am on a Mac not a PC, btw. Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some characters are missing? I don't think that this sounds like a case where the font is not showing up in InDesign, right? I suspect that you're working in Cambodian and haven't turned on the World-Ready Composer. If the font shows up in the list, it's installed. If it's not rendering your Khmer text as you'd expect, it's probably because you're not using the correct Composer:

JoelCherney_0-1648601546221.png

This can be set  in a bunch of places (in Paragraph Styles, in Type -> Apply World-Ready Composer, the Justification dialog I've shown here, etc.). That's where I'd start. If this isn't the issue, can you please provide some more detail?

Also, please note that Khmer Sangam MN is not a Microsoft font, but part of OS X's infrastructure for displaying Khmer. I think it's an AAT font (Advanced Apple Typography) and I have no idea how well it works in InDesign, or if you'll be able to get it to work at all. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Missing font has nothing to do with the composer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to Joel's comments, are the fonts showing up in InDesign's font menu? If so, it's likely the composer. Also, I recommend taking a look at Google's Noto fonts. They are free and have an enormous range of language/glyph coverage. We use them often. https://fonts.google.com/noto

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft saves its fonts in their application. 

On the Mac you do following, to get MS fonts:

1. Right Mouse click on the Application Icon (MS Word or PowerPoint)
  2. Show Package Content
  3. Go to Ressources
  4. There you will find the DFonts directory.
  5. Copy all fonts from there to the Font folder, where InDesign will find those fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines