• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microsoft Word Import Options dialog box reverted to bitty pre-2022 style

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some stage, InDesign changed the way you could manage paragraph and character styles on import so that you got the option to ascribe, for example, anything called "Heading 1" in Word with "Title" in InDesign and absolutely everything else (I think it was termed '[Any]') as '[No Paragraph Style]', 'Body Text' or whatever you wanted.

Now, in the 2024 update, we seem to have gone back to the old method of having to assign every single imported text style with a paragraph or character style of your own, or - and here is the real headache - specifying [No paragraph style] or character style [None] to each and every style inherited from the usually very messy Word file. I have just done this to a file compiled by multiple users with approx. 100 different styles.

So my questions are:

1. Why?! Surely the switch to being able to group imported styles together was easier and more efficient?
    and
  2. Is there any way of getting the circa 2022 version of text import back again?

Thanks for any pointers anyone is able to give (or just sympathy!)

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

That looks like a plug-in interface, WordsFlow, not the standard interface. Update your plug in to work with 2024.

see also: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/word-import-options-dialog-box/m-p/13812237

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

They changed nothing, it looks like the WordsFlow plug in to me that isn't updated to work with 2024...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

It is the Em Software WordsFlow plug in interface 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could be wrong, but the Show Import Options for a  Word docx file place still has the Customize Style Import switch along with the Style Mapping dialog box. I have never noticed it to change at all since it was introduced in CS2 circa 2005.

Another thought: take management steps to bring the 100-styles-multiple-users thing under control. Humans need a lot of method training on this topic.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike,
Yes, it's reverted back to single style mapping method and you're right that it must have only been one iteration of InDesign that used the different dialog box method.

I can't see anything either in the initial File/Place window or the Import Options dialog box  that looks like it would allow me to toggle between this method and the one I prefer.

Totally agree it would be easier if everyone stuck to styles at the outset but unfortunately, as it's a community magazine with different and new people from lots of villages submitting content every month, training all of them all the time to use styles in Word would be even more of an uphill struggle than going through each of their styles in turn!

Murrance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, in the 2024 update

If it only happened in the 2024 update, then you can install InDesign 2023 from the Creative Cloud app and import your Word files there (if the process is indeed any different). In this case, can you post screenshots that illustrate the difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion!

Re-installed 2022 and have the following screenshots to show you.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 154832.jpgScreenshot 2024-07-15 155000.jpgScreenshot 2024-07-15 155942.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion!

Re-installed 2022 and have the following screenshots to show you

By @Murrance

I can only recommend to submit a request to restore the previous import options here:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite possible that I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick — or even the wrong stick — but I can't find that more complex/sophisticated Paragraph Style Mapping dialog in InDesign 2022, 2023 or 2024. Is there some trick to displaying it? I only ever see this:

Style Mapping.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like a plug-in interface, WordsFlow, not the standard interface. Update your plug in to work with 2024.

see also: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/word-import-options-dialog-box/m-p/13812237

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's impossible with a large roster of volunteer/remote contributors.

It's even impossible-1 to get a company, office or department to sit for some basic Word methods training, as most of us probably know. "We don't have time for all that fancy-dancy stuff." (So man-weeks a years are wasted on just working with crappy formatting and document faults.)

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I wasn't paying any attention, I have never known this dialog box to be any different in any version. I'm not sure what you might be remembering.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmph! You are right. I wasn't paying attention. 

Now I wonder: why did it re-design and why did it revert back to the older layout look?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They changed nothing, it looks like the WordsFlow plug in to me that isn't updated to work with 2024...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course! Thank you Frans. 

It hadn't occured to me that it could be part of a plug-in, and it puzzles me because WordsFlow had been disabled for years on my PC.

I will see if it comes back with newer Em Software versions... and speak very nicely to the accounts department...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Murrance , It does seem like you were using some sort of plugin as @Frans v.d. Geest suggests. This is the Place interface from CC2021:

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the Em Software WordsFlow plug in interface 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

اواجه مشكلة في ملف الادوبي ان دزاين لديه حروف تاتي بعد (_) ويجب ان تكتب بصورة منخفضة لذلك يجب ان ابحثعنها وان عمل لها subscript من دون ان يصغر السطر كله واحتاج الى ذلك من خلال تطبيق GREP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

اواجه مشكلة في ملف الادوبي ان دزاين لديه حروف تاتي بعد (_) ويجب ان تكتب بصورة منخفضة لذلك يجب ان ابحث عنها وان عمل لها subscript من دون ان يصغر السطر كله واحتاج الى ذلك من خلال تطبيق GREP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines