Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Minion + Greek + Small Caps

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm typing the Greek alphabet with minion pro, and when I try to make something small caps... it doesn't work.

I've searched adobe fonts and can't find anything obvious to help. Of course I can change fonts, but it seems like it would be a weird oversight if there were really no Greek small caps with minion.

Any help would be appreciated!

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

It would appear there is no Greek small caps built into Minion Pro.

You can achieve what you want using GREP Styles if there is a way to target lowercase Greek letters. I don’t think there is a wildcard specific to lowercase Greek letters so you would have to use or (vertical bar) between each letter you want to find. Then apply a small caps character style. I find the best way to make that is to use horizontal and vertical scaling then increase the font weight a bit (normal to semibold, for e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would appear there is no Greek small caps built into Minion Pro.

You can achieve what you want using GREP Styles if there is a way to target lowercase Greek letters. I don’t think there is a wildcard specific to lowercase Greek letters so you would have to use or (vertical bar) between each letter you want to find. Then apply a small caps character style. I find the best way to make that is to use horizontal and vertical scaling then increase the font weight a bit (normal to semibold, for example).

Here I have made a small caps character style that uses Minion Pro Caption, vertical scaling is 67%, horizontal scaling is 70%. I then used a GREP Style to apply it to lowercase Greek letters with this term:

(α|β|γ|δ|ε|ζ|η|θ|ι|κ|λ|μ|ν|ξ|ο|π|ρ|ς|σ|τ|υ|φ|χ|ψ|ω|\l)

Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 12.12.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I didn't think of trying to imitate it with other properties. I found a combination that gets me really close. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @315741944lg7,

To complete Scott's answer, note that the GREP pattern \l alone already captures any lowercase letter (including in Greek), so (α|β|γ|δ|ε|ζ|η|θ|ι|κ|λ|μ|ν|ξ|ο|π|ρ|ς|σ|τ|υ|φ|χ|ψ|ω|\l) is redundant.

1. If you want to specifically capture lowercase Greek letters, then [α-ω] is shorter and usually sufficient.

2. The basic Greek and Coptic Unicode block has additional lowercase characters with diacritics, hence you can extend the pattern to [\x{3AC}-\x{3CE}] for a better coverage.

3. The Greek Extended block might be required too (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_script_in_Unicode). In that case a lookahead is useful to preselect lowercase letters before you specify the class:
(?=\l)[\x{370}-\x{3FF}\x{1F00}-\x{1FFF}]

Here is how this works in InDesign with the corresponding GREP styles (rendered in blue) applied to a sample text in Minion Pro:

MarcAutret_0-1693234712208.png

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines