Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing dots at the end of pharagraph when exporting a PDF from Indesign

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I hope someone can help.

I'm exporting a file as a pdf from InDesign. However, a strange thing happens. When I export the file as PDF, Strangely, the dots disappear when I make the text right-justify, but when it is no-justify, the dots appear normally.  

right justifying right justify.png

no justification no justification.png

What is the problem? Please help.

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set the language for the Paragraph to your language, like Arabic or whatever language this is?
Have you used World Ready Paragraph Composer?
Are you using the ME version of InDesign?

Can you share more info on this?

I've limited experience with setting Right to Left languages, but hopefully can help a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't read Arabic and have no experience setting right-to-left text, but I do see, in addition tot he missing dot, some differences in a few of the word forms as well and wondered if this was also unexpected...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this issue is related to some Arabic and Persian characters such as T. For me I didn't find a technical sollution but you can add some scale even 1% to the text and the issue will be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you go into a little bit more detail about your workaround? 

If I export fully justified Arabic or Persian text from InDesign 18.5 (the 2023 edition) then everything looks fine to my eyes. If I export fully justified Arabic or Persian text from 19.0.1, then the last full stop disappears from any multi-line paragraph. I've tried adding a few percent of horizontal scale, but the missing period does not reappear. How did you pull it off?

This is just one RTL complex-script text rendering errors in the newest version of InDesign, and I was about to file a bug report at uservoice.indesign.com about it. The only reason I haven't done so is that I got an error message when trying to upload a sample INDD, which I assume is a new bug with Uservoice itself. At any rate, if you can add some details on how you worked around this bug, I can include it in the bug report, which might help the devs find the bug (and will certainly help the frustrated users who are voting up that bug report, in that it might allow them to get back to work without rolling back to 18.5). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is certainly a bug worth reporting. 

What you can do currently to avoid the problem is to open the "Paragraph" panel, and choose "None" from the Kashida setting drop-down menu as shown below. Then export to PDF.

No-Kashida.jpg

Switching Kashida option off will certainly restrict you from controlling the word extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's certainly a workaround! I gave up trying to find a way to submit an INDD with my bug report, which I have now posted over at uservoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/47515619-fully-justifie...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I supported your bug report… I hope we get a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this other solution I'm suggesting here may be silly, it is worth mentioning, especially since you can keep Kashidas ON to extend words and close white gaps.

You can type double dots at the end of the paragraph for example…

double-dots.jpg

For some reason, one of the dots will appear in the PDF later. You need to visit your InDesign document in future to Edit > Find/Change multiple double dots in your document after the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

السلام عليكم يمكنك حل المشكلة بإضافة تاب نهاية الجملة TAB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have ME installed - how about just a space? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparentty its a bug. My work around is to download an earlier version. (in my case downloaded v18.5.2) it works fine. But it it will take time to convert once u try to open from the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Can you share the version of InDesign & OS along with a sample document so that we can investigate this further. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines