• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing font styles for Adobe font in documents received from an agency

Contributor ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Source Sans Pro and Source Serif Pro. When I receive files from a certain agency I have trouble with font styles not being available for the text they have created. The agency is not very good (not my choice) and I need to fix what they send. One of the things they never do correctly is using the font styles from our guidelines. For instance, they use Regular when they should be using Light. When I highlight their text and try to change it, the only styles available are Regular and Bold. However, if I type new text in the same document I am able to select any style (ie, light, black, italic, etc).

I've tried find and replace and I get the dreaded pink filled text box and [Light] (in the brackets) in the style selection dropdown. How can I fix this to allow for all font styles? Are they locking something I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

If the files are packaged there will be a Fonts folder with the InDesign file.

The packaged InDesign file is likely reading the fonts from this folder. 

Instead - move the InDesign from the folder and open the file separately.

And you should be able to use the fonts on the computer instead of using the fonts from the linked Fonts folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are free fonts you can download your own copies, set up Paragraph and Character Styles for the text.

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source+Sans+Pro

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source+Serif+Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the problem at all. I use those fonts every day and have all of my style set up. The problem is that when I receive documents from this agency I can't choose all of the style when I need to make changes to their work. I can type new text in their document in the same font and choose whatever style I want but for some reason, when I select the text they created only regular and bold are available. Even if I import my character and paragraph styles and apply them, I get the dreaded pink text frame and [Light] in brackets showing it's not actually available for that text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you loading your problem client's fonts from a repository where you have all your client's fonts stored? Or are you just opening the InDesign files from the client's packaged folder and relying on InDesign to load the job's fonts from the Document Fonts packaged sub-folder?

If you're running from the packaged fonts without installing client fonts in the system — and hey, that's what the whole packaged fonts folder is for, isn't it? — you're only going to get the "fonts", and more specifically, the specific font weights — that are packaged with the job. If a desired font weight isn't packaged in the Document Fonts sub-folder, You're not going to get the ability to highlight existing text in the document and change it to that non-existent font weight.

Typing in fresh text yourself changes the rules. Since it's new text, InDesign switches over to the fonts you have loaded up on your system, or at least ones up/activated by your font manager. It also is an indication that your version of Source Sans/Serif Pro may not be exactly the same cut as your client is using when they apply Source Sans/Serif Pro. Which can provide an additional complication.

Now, how to identify, then fix the problem:

1. Check the font(s) stored in a given job's Document Fonts package sub-folder. Are they the same as the fonts you have stored in your system — same name, type, file size and date?
  2. If you find any anomalies (and I'm fairly confident that you will), you need to get on the same page with the same fonts as your problem client.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the files are packaged there will be a Fonts folder with the InDesign file.

The packaged InDesign file is likely reading the fonts from this folder. 

Instead - move the InDesign from the folder and open the file separately.

And you should be able to use the fonts on the computer instead of using the fonts from the linked Fonts folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I was not aware that it would pull from that folder if I have the fonts previously loaded. I simply deleted the fonts folder as it isn't needed at all and now I have access to all styles when highlighting their text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines