• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Fonts

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2007 Jun 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are fonts installed on my system, which are available in Word, CorelDraw, and other applications, but they do NOT show up, at all, in the fonts list of ANY CS2 application ... InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator. This situation might be true of OTHER fonts, but the only ones I'm conscious of are the basic four variations of Arial Narrow, and Arial Black. (Arial Black Oblique is ALSO installed, and it IS available.)

These EXACT SAME fonts WERE available in Adobe applications, as long as I was using XP. Now that I've switched to Vista, they've ceased to function.

I've tried reinstalling these fonts and rebooting. What else can I do?

Thanks!

bilglas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 167 Replies 167
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem: CS3 doesn't recognize Arial Bold and substitutes Arial Greek instead. What would happen if I simply removed Arial Greek from Windows Fonts? Cliff Moore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been struggling with the Arial Narrow/ID CS3 issue for some time now, and have sought Adobe's help, but to no avail. We did however find a link (http://www.indesignsecrets.com/getting-indesign-to-see-your-fonts.php), and followed the advice in the first paragraph, suggesting the placement of shortcuts to the Arial Narrow fonts in the ID CS3 font folder, and it worked immediately. We first had to remove the version of Arial Narrow that Office 2007 installed, and replace with version 2.30. Hope this works for others as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2008 Jan 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also grateful to find this post, as I too was tearing my hair out. But interestingly my Arial Narrow nightmare occurred in switching from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. So perhaps there is a larger issue than just between CS2 and CS3.

My Adobe applications actually REMAINED THE SAME (Photoshop 7, Illustrator 8 and InDesign CS2)from the old machine to the new. I literally just reinstalled them. On my old 2000 machine, all was fine, on my new XP machine, none of my Adobe applications recognized Arial Narrow any more. But the fix of copying and pasting the fonts into the Adobe font directory fixed the problem for me. Thanks!

I have noticed a few other annoying font glitches in XP as well. One of the fonts I use heavily for a client, Trajan Pro, has lost it's bold functionality in Adobe applications on my XP (whereas it had a bold option on my 2000 machine), which also drives me nuts. I may see if this trick will help with that as well...
But thanks for the help. Hyla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2008 Feb 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please help me in locating these Arial fonts that are dated for 11/12/1998? I have looked into several XP machines running office 2003 and I am unable to find these fonts. I can only find the same fonts that are dated 7/14/2006. I have looked on the Microsoft Website and others and am not able to locate the Arial fonts with the same size and date as needed to fix my CS3 missing font issue. I have found that these websites suggest that these fonts are discontinued. Can someone please tell me where I can go or suggest another option to get these most needed fonts. I would love to see if this solution works!!

Thank you!!

Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me where I can locate these Arial Fonts. I have looked at several PCs that have XP on them but all have the same fonts that are dated 7/14/2006 with 175KB. I have not been able to locate any with the date 11/12/1998 or the size of 135KB. I have gone to several websites, including Microsoft's. They say that these fonts are discontinued. Do you know of another way for me to obtain these fonts? I would very much like to see if this solution with work for our many CS3 users.

Thank you!!

Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those versions are indeed discontinued. My recollection is they were shipped as part of either Windows 2000 or Office 2000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2008 Apr 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shirley,

I had the same problem and found the fonts in the following location -

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp.htm
http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/Arialn%20Font.exe

Jimmy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2008 Jun 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jimmy! Copying those 4 files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts and forcing CS3 do dump the preferences when launching worked perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2008 Jun 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Mauro, for your inspired solution in Message #35!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2008 Jul 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution:
Go to www.fonts.com
Purchase Arial Narrow family ($104 for reg., bold, italic & bold italic)
Download and unzip
Go to Control Panel, Fonts, File, Install new font
Done

I just did it, and it worked in XP-InDesign CS3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2008 Jul 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People should be pressuring Microsoft to fix the bug in their fonts, not letting them off the hook by buying new versions of those fonts. As well, many people will have older versions of the fonts floating around somewhere, so I wouldn't advise people to rush out and spend $104 on new fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2008 Sep 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft has issued a "Hotfix" for their bug in Arial Narrow.
http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2008/09/arial_narrow.html

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey... I'm the geek who started this thread, some 15 months ago. I was very excited to learn (thanks, Thomas) that Microsoft had issued a "hotfix" for the problem! Finally! I've gone through the ridiculously convoluted process of applying the fix ... installation successful.

Well, I don't know about Microsoft Word, but for InDesign CS3 and Photoshop CS3, nothing has changed. The font selection list offers either ARIAL or ARIAL BLACK. When choosing ARIAL, the variations include Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic .... AND (erroneously) Narrow and Black. The only style option when choose ARIAL BLACK is Italic.

I've rebooted, I've check the fonts listed in my windows/fonts folder ... nothing has changed. Still have no way of getting Arial Narrow Italic, Arial Narrow Bold, or Arial Narrow Bold Italic.

Incidentally, all ten variations DO appear correctly in CorelDraw X3, so one might argue that the problem is Adobe's ... but personally, I'd much rather blame Microsoft.

Anybody else have any luck with that "hotfix"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, success here!

The trick is that you need to rebuild the Adobe font cache mechanism. First, exit all Adobe programs. Then, search and delete ALL files of the form AdobeFnt##.lst where ## is a two digit number.

At that point, all nine of the Arial family members appear as styles under Arial.

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Yep, success here!

And here as well after deleting the font cache files.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys. I have updated my blog post to include the cache-deletion step.

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I work for an Architectural firm and we are having this issue all over the place with CS3.

The version of our Arial Narrow fonts are 2.37, which is weird because we don't use Office 2007.
- I tried applying the hotfix even though we only have Office 2003, but it didn't work.

I don't see how this is a Microsoft Problem?

Works fine in Adobe CS2 but doesn't in Adobe CS3.
- yeah i know there is issues with Office 2007 with the font group, but we aren't running Office 2007!!!

Unfortunately I don't have a PC in which I can go back to which has a 1998 version of the font.
- If someone does, i would love them to e-mail me them or something.

I've even got some Windows XP 64-bit machines which are having the same issue.
- Tried all the fixes suggested but NOTHING works.

I called Adobe, and they just said that their systems aren't fully supported by 64-bit and don't support Windows XP SP3.

When is Adobe going to start fixing their god dam product?

I don't see why it works for some but not others?

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Any suggestions?

Try running the hot fix. It works.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Tried all the fixes suggested but NOTHING works.

So, you've installed older versions of Arial then?

Or you installed the hotfix and rebuilt the font cache?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Try running the hot fix. It works.

I believe he said he did that, but it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I missed that. I ran it on several machines and it worked. If it
didn't work then something else is wrong here. But instead of actual
details all we got was a rant.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "Hot Fix", after trying numerous things posted here and my reluctance of changing too much on my system which (other than this problem) operating well, is to run 2 versions of InDesign. CS2 for all projects created with that or earlier and CS3 for new projects where Arial narrow is not a must. It is unfortunate that it is necessary to do this due to Adobe's refusal to fix their blunder with this software release. Each time they send me a survey I go over this problem and the stress it causes but have never received a reply. I shudder at what we might expect with the release of CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cathleen,

Microsoft issued a fix for this. Did you try it?

If not, why not?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have Office o7 on my Computer, I am still on 03. I do not have a problem with any other programs in this area, I do not believe it is a Microsoft issue and I have had enough "yeah, just run this simple patch" "solutions" cause issues in my computers over the years. It is obviously an Adobe mess-up and it should be a fix that is applied to the Adobe product which is not working rather than the Microsoft product that is working (with full Arial narrow). Just the fact that I can use the fonts without issue in ID CS2 but not CS3 is enough to convince me the problem came from Adobe and the fix should be applied to the Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Vista? If so, it's the same issue and it's still
Microsoft's to fix...which as already noted here has been done.

I've got a brief summary of the whole thing here:

http://indesignsecrets.com/hotfix-corrects-arial-narrow-problem-on-windows.php

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines