Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing footnote Numbers in the text

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your help,

Our question is concerning missing footnote numbers in text. The document contains 9 articles, each article is a different story. We save daily versions - a new version every day we update the file, and at some point we have noticed that all of the footnote numbers of one of the articles disappeared. When we place the text into InDesign we delete the original footnote numbers and type it, then apply it a character style.

What might be the reason for the missing footnote numbers in one of the articles?

Thanks a lot,
Nili

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Hi

You should be applying the character style automatically in Footnote Options, not manually.

I don’t understand why you are deleting the numbers and typing them in again. Deleting the footnote number will delete the footnote.

In terms of why did they disappear from one article, it’s hard to say, but the most likely reason is user error. Are they in any of the older backups that you make daily?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You should be applying the character style automatically in Footnote Options, not manually.

I don’t understand why you are deleting the numbers and typing them in again. Deleting the footnote number will delete the footnote.

In terms of why did they disappear from one article, it’s hard to say, but the most likely reason is user error. Are they in any of the older backups that you make daily?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jane,

Thank you for your answer. We will try what you suggest.

Yes, the footnotes were in older backups, and at some point just disappear.

Nili

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, what do you mean applying the character style automatically in Footnote Option? 

I have similaire problme with Nili : I transport several textes form Words to InDesign, the reference of footnotes/endnotes was kept, but the footnote numbers were missing. I still don't know the solution. 

If you know how to deal with it, please let me know. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the menu Text / Footnote options. There you can set the numbering but also the character style for that number. Example: from the options menu choose Numbers (1,2,3)  or astersks (*) the select a character style you made (like OT superscipt/superior or Bold etc) to apply formatting to that number. You can even use a prefix like '(' or suffix like ')' to create this: (1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glancing at the menu for this brought to my attention (or maybe reminded me, after years) that among the prefix options are hair and thin spaces... VERY useful. Some of these embedded formatting options are much more limited.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of whether you add the footnote references manually or by choosing Type > Insert Footnote, if the user selects text with the footnote reference and replaces it, the reference will be deleted. They're not protected in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines