• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing glyphs in a Right-to-Left Paragraph direction (Reported at Uservoice)

Enthusiast ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. InDesign Middle Eastern Version 18.4.0.56

2. Steps to reproduce the issues:
a. In Preferences>Composition>Highlight, turn on Highlight for missing glyphs.
b. Type in a text box open and closing parenthesis.
c. Toggle between Right-to-Left and Left-to-Right Paragraph direction.

3. Expected result: Missing glyphs should not be affected by paragraph direction.

4. Actual result: When the direction becomes Right-to-Left the parenthesis are highlights as missing glyphs.

Additional Information:
If you type one Hebrew letter before and after the parenthesis, the parenthesis will be highlighted with missing glyphs also on Left to Right Paragraph direction.

I tried with various fonts, all behave the same. Today was the first time I noticed it. It happened with a document that I edit all the time (and also a new one I created to test it) when I selected a different paragraph style. I then got a message that there are missing glyphs. I turned on the highlight option and suddenly I notices that all my parenthesis are highlighted in yellow for missing glyphs. I believe it is a bug of the latest version. 

Reported at Uservoice.

Shlomit

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this - I don't use the ME version often, but maybe some of our other forum members do - I think perhaps @Joel Cherney might be able to add some insight, if not then I apologise in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shlomit,

I also see this with my German InDesign 18.4.0.

And also already with InDesign 2022 version 17.4.2.77.

All on macOS 12.6.5.

However, I do not think this has any issues with exporting to PDF for example.

The right glyphs are used. Tested with Adobe Hebrew font.

AdobeHebrew_SubstitutedGlyphs-17.4.2.77.png

Did a Font Inventory Report with Acrobat Pro and found no issue. The right glyphs were used for exporting the PDF:

AdobeHebrew_SubstitutedGlyphs-17.4.2.77.pdf-InventoryReport.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, it's a bug to show both glyphs as missing.

InDesign's own Preflight is showing no missing glyphs:

AdobeHebrew_MissingGlyphs-InDesignPreflight-17.4.2.77.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Laubender Thank you Uwe...

I was wating for your comment. It's very strange that I only saw it now. I have a template ID document with many styles for various articles I create for myself. Although I use these documents all the time, it was the first time I got the error messege about missing glyphs. I can't turn it off. I alwas need to see if something like this happens because of the Hebrew so it's annoying to keep getting it everytime I choose a new par. style especially when I remove ovverrides. Well, at list it confirmed as a bug which is good, now we just need to hope it will be fixed.

Have a good day,

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Shlomit,

now on my Windows 10 laptop I already can see the issue with my German InDesign CS6 version 8.1.0.420.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines