• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing guillemets/typographers quotes « »

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have a 300 page textbook document with English and Spanish languages. The text was copied from an online souce and pasted into the document. The Spanish language text having guillemets around dialogue. After a recent edit, I am now noticing that all guillemets have disappeared. 
:0
There were over 700+ instances so I know this wasn’t a manual adjust and I don’t recall doing find/change edit. Any ideas what could have happened to make all these disappear? Could something have turned off/on to hide and or eliminate these quotes? Is there any chance of getting them back or would I have to go back and manually replace them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the exact version of your operating system and software?

Can you confirm the language setting on you text?

Are the guillemets gone or replaced by something else? You might turn on Type > Show Hidden Characters in case they were replaced by something else in a different language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, try Edit > Edit in Story Editor to check if the characters are completely gone.

If you are using Paragrah/Character styles, what language is selected in each?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for offering some input here.

I'm on a macOS running 14.5 Sonoma. The language on the Paragraph style is English (USA) as content throughout the book is mixed between English and Spanish. This has never given me a problem though. No Character style is applied.

The guillemets are gone completely. Not replaced with anything just gone and are not seen in story editor or in hidden text.

Option for Use Typographer's Quotes on is selected/on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not clear to me if you mean they changed to straight marks or from guillemettes to english style typographers quotes or disappeared altogether.

If they changed style it could be because the wrong language is assigned to the text. Language is a character-level attribute that can be set as part of the paragraph style or as a local override.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter and thanks for the reply.

The language on the Paragraph style is English (USA) as content throughout the book is mixed between English and Spanish. This has never given me a problem though. No Character style is applied.

The guillemets are gone completely. Not replaced with anything just gone and are not seen in story editor or in hidden text. Option for Use Typographer's Quotes on is selected/on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the marks have disappeared completely is a mystery, but you should assign the Spanish language to all Spanish text, either as a character style for isolated word groups in English paragraphs or as part of a Paragraph style (which can be based on your English language paragraph style for similar text with only the language attribute changed) for entire Spanish paragraphs. This will help with correct punctuation as well as spell checking.

Are you having trouble with other puctuation such as inverted question marks at the beginning of sentences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose you have an earlier version you can revert to that still has quotes. I can only think that they must have been deleted in error in a find/change operation you don't recall -- some slightly malformed GREP expression that either incluced or excluded them unnoticed at the time being my best guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wild guess — was there a change to a font without (properly mapped) guillemots?

I second Peter's suggestion that the Spanish be tagged with styles that allow you to apply language elements. Would make many operations easier/automatic and possibly prevent things like changing the quote mode from messing with non-English elements.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines