• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mojikumi

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know where I can find the mojikumi settings for Japanese language in English InDesign?
It used to be at the bottom of the Paragraph panel, but seems to have disappeared from the entire software. I need to space punctuation properly in Japanese.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi poth,

hm, I don't think it was ever there, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

For mojikumi you need one of the Japanese Paragraph Composers applied to the text.

Under the hood that is available with an English InDesign, e.g. by scripting, but it does not mean that mojikumi is available in the GUI.

Check this article where all mojikumi related screenshots are done with the CJK version of InDesign:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/composing-cjk-characters.html

Also see all the screenshots about this subject in this German article:

InDesign Japanisch – Sonderfunktionen

https://mojimoji.de/indesign-japanisch/sonderfunktionen.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, seems I was wrong.

There is a way to have Japanese functions with an English UI, but depending on your version of InDesign it might be a hack or at least a bit experimental:

Adobe InDesign Tips: Japanese/CJK Functionality + English UI—Redux
Dr Ken Lunde, Nov 5, 2019

https://ken-lunde.medium.com/adobe-indesign-tips-japanese-cjk-functionality-english-ui-redux-539528e...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your replies.

After I posted, I found Ken Lunde's explanation of "hacking" the code to get it to work.

I didn't get an email alert that there were replies, and Ken Lunde's method worked - so I wasn't ignoring the replies, just didn't spot them!

I switched from Japanese UI to English a while ago, but didn't realise that the English didn't have the mojikumi settings appear by default. I guess I only have laid out Japanese text in Illustrator since then - and English-UI Illustrator does have the mojikumi button by default! I guess InDesign and Illustrator don't talk to each other! 🙂

Thanks for your replies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"After I posted, I found Ken Lunde's explanation of "hacking" the code to get it to work."

Great!

What exact version of InDesign do you have installed?

On what operating system?

Thanks for your feedback,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I have InDesign 2021 (16.1) on MacOS 10.15.7

Ken Lunde's guidance worked. The only minor hitch was I had to rebuild my workspace, as that disappeared. Otherwise all good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines