• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Most recent folder after saving, to place into InDesign

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry if this has been answered somewhere, it's a difficult question to get the wordking correct. 

When editing a file in Photoshop or Illustator is it possible when 'placing' into InDesign to automatically have either MacOS or Adobe or Default Folder software, know and open that folder you've last saved into. I use Default Folder and bought it specifically for the purpose of easily finding / going back to the last folder I've saved to.  Which works with clicking on 'recent folders' in Default folder. However I noticed now for many years that MacOs isn't alway consistant with opening a certain folder when clicking to 'place' an image into InDesign.  I hope I've made this clear.  I have fooled around with Mac Os on which folder opens but never really got into testing it.   At times I notice it opens a folder i saved into a while ago.. two or three files before that most current.   Thanks for any answers to this question as it would save a ton of time and 'focus lost' by frustrating around with folders.  If there is an answer I'm sure it's simple. Even if it's in Default Folder settings. I'm sure I had this working before. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easist way I do to tackle this problem is to add my folders to the Finder sidebar as favourite folders.
Windows OS has the same sidebar and recent folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did this get marked as the correct answer? Of course I have folders in my sidebar.  My question was how can Mac OS automatically know or remember the last finder I saved to in photoshop or any other software.  I have 1000's of folders and will never put 1000's of folders in my sidebar. So my next question is how do I mark this as the wrong answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not correct and I unmarked it as such. The fact is that there is no out-of-the-box way for one CC app to know which folder you last saved to from another. Might make a good feature request.

Without more background on your workflow, there's no way to even make a suggestion beyond getting organized before you start by creating folders for assets that will be used in the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, under Windows any exported or saved file shows up at the top of the recent files list; I find it simple to find and grab that entry.

And while relying on the OS or app to just "know" where something is, I find it useful to keep a project folder open and make sure all exports, saves, etc. go to it. "One window to hold them all."

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, yes I understand exactly what you are saying. My workflow is
indeed a bit complex compared to dealing with one project at a time. I
print a magazine and two newspapers so have up to 60 or more ads and links
to deal with in each edition I run.

So I have a runsheet in google docs and start working on each ad as fast as
I can within the main magazine or newspaper file. All those links are
quickly accessed by a shortcut key from the ad placed into the main file.
So quickly it opens.. change.. or edit a photo again with a shortcut key to
open the image in photoshop. Fix, save... sometimes save as or a NEW photo
worked on and saved. Then it's where the hassle starts... place.. and it
opens some obscure folder I opened a while back. Usually different. So it's
knowing something?? The software default folder is GREAT and has access to
the last file saved. I'm not sure why the Apple 'recents' folder doesn't
work well in this situation. I must declare though I have not focused on
what's going on here and never tried to test and figure it out. Default
folder to me has been worth every penny and saved me thousands of hours or
searching back into deep folders of my many many clients at one busy time.
I was sure by now Adobe or Apple would have this figured out - or ME
figuring it out. I do not use Adobe Bridge and admit I know very little
about it but if you know that this is the answer I'm looking for, thanks
for the guidance.

Okay, this got me thinking... I will google Bridge now and see if recent
folder comes up.

Or if I use Adobe Creative cloud will this help? Or the Creative Cloud Library might help with some links?  I think I've seen it ask me if I want to relink through Creative Cloud Library which was a mess when I dragged my old CS library to.  Didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was going to suggest looking at Bridge and perhaps using Smart Folders but that too will require some adjustments to your workflow. Perhaps some metadata or file naming conventions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines