• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

move pages to new doc, get overrides on everything

Participant ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In working with some families of documents, I am moving (copying) pages from one doc to another.

(several docs will need essentially the same pages, so copy them over then edit for the particular docs)

These docs belong to a book, and I have synchronized all styles and master pages.

But with Style Override Highlighter turned on, I see the copied pages blue with overrides, even though the identical styles exist in each doc.

While the formatting seems ok, it is really annoying (probably silly, yes. It looks ugly and seems like these should not be overrides)

Are there some settings that cause/affect this?

ID 13.1 x64 (2018) Win 7

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check to see if any of your styles are based on the Basic Paragraph style. This style is often overlooked but can often cause a problem such as this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting thought - but at least some of the styles that show overrides are based on 'no style'.

- wouldn't the Basic Paragraph Style sync with all the other styles?

Thanks

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Basic Paragraph would sync with the others. If you hover over the style with the override in the Paragraph Styles panel, you should see a tooltip of what the override actually is. What does it say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I didn't know that.

Looks like frame-related stuff?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:33 AM Chad Chelius <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of it is frame related, most of it appears to be shading properties for the style as well as a drop cap definition. Is there any chance that those overrides exist in the document prior to importing of the pages? I'm thinking that InDesign might be trying to retain that formatting on import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will investigate - thanks for the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see any overrides in the source file.

Now, maybe I am doing this wrong?

To duplicate a number of spreads, I moved them to a temp file, them moved them back to the source file.

The temp/resource file is also part of the book.

I synched EVERYTHING from source to temp, then from temp back to source.

Then I moved the spreads I wanted to duplicate to the temp file.

No overrides in the source, lots of overrides visible in the temp file.

There must be properties of the file that aren't synced but affect content?

yeah, I had overlooked the 'duplicate spread' feature. I'll use that now to copy these pages.

But still, when I'm building a doc out of existing stuff - what the heck could cause those overrides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines