Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving a text in all spreads

Participant ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I must move the author title just a little bit but in all spreads.

Unfortunatly I did not made a Master page.

I've duplicated the layout of a spread.

It is possible to use a script to make this change in all spreads?

Like an action in photoshop?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little vague what you mean by author title, but if you have a specific instance of text that appears on each page, and you want to change something in each of them, then  I would put them in a paragraph style. And you can put them all in that style in hit without selecting them individually via  find + replace - the caveat being that you need to tell InDesign what to find. If it's identical to all your other text it's not possible, but usually you might have changed something that InDesign can use to identify it (colour, size, space before/after, leading - literally anything that makes it different to all other text in the document). Then you can enter those specs into the Find box and your new paragraph style into the Change box. And then, as they say, 'Bob's your Uncle!'. You can change them all at once.

Of course you need not create the new style - just enter the find values as above, and your altered ones in the change box. But by getting them in a paragraph style, you're in charge. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thank you and sorry.

Whithowt an image it's really vague.

Please see the image here, the name of the author is the one I must slightly move in all pages.

I hope this helps understand what I must do.

Thank you once again

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 11.21.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this text the only text in the document that is right-aligned? Or in that specific point size?

If so, as suggested in my first post, you can find all right-aligned text, and replace it with what you like, assuming you want the same new positioning to apply to all of them.

But it depends how you've created these frames. If they are force aligned vertically, then the height won't be possible to alter without first removing that setting, which again you can do via Find and Change. But in that instance where you are altering the frame rather than the text, Eugene's suggestion of creating an object style is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

the text is aligned to the left nd the text box is too wide to simply align to the right.

I'll try the Eugene option but I think that start all over again will be the way to go.

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly suggest you use an Object Style if it's a standalone frame not attached or anchored to anything else.

With Object Styles you can determine the X Y position - and then you only have to update the Object Style to position move the text frame.

EugeneTyson_0-1627463173823.png

Unfortunately you'll have to apply the Object Style manually to all frames you want it for. Which could be time consuming.

You might be able to Find/Change

But if your frame has a unique feature, like a certain thickness border - that nothing else has in the document you can use Find Change to find the Object and apply the style manually.

===========

InDesign has a built in recording of last movements.

So depending on how many spreads you have - the more time it will take.

Move the first one into position 

Then select your next frame

And choose Object>Transform again

EugeneTyson_1-1627463252427.png

You can assign a Keyboard Shortcut by going to

Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts

EugeneTyson_2-1627463449290.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I've tried the find/replace but I wasn't able to find the text.

It's a text box that I must slighlty move in all spreads to meet the requirements for printing.

Thnak you for you time!

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 11.21.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see the other method I posted.

I strongly suggest you follow the methods closely - there are two supplied.

The other easiest thing to do is place the Text on the master page now - 

Then do a find and replace for the author name and remove the name everywhere except the master page.

You can do a find change with the text attributes of the author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about inserting to the master page now but the black background will be covering it as is not in a master page. Not all spreads has the black background.

I know, I didn't followed the correct workflow.

I made a layout and duplicated it.

I've learnd my lesson.

I'll try your method to see if i'm able to do so!

Thank you so much for your kind and mega pro assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like it's to late to avoid going through page by page, but it might still be faster to go ahead and put it in the correct position on the master (you may need to create a new layer higher in the stack to keep it in front of other content on your document pages) and then just delete the frame on all the pages.

Otherwise, if the other suggestions are not working, try moving one to the coreect position, the select each additional frame and use the Transform Again command to quickly move to the same position. You can make a keyboard shortcut for the command to make it even faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I create a master on a new layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per Peters suggestion - create a new layer - then insert the text frame on this layer.

Just make sure you're on your master page when you do so.

Once that layer is above all others you will have no problems.

However, this will show on all pages - and may not be the desired outcome.

I do agree with Peter - it seems like it's too late to fix it now - and going spread by spread will be the way forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current suggestions are spot on, but for what it's worth here's a little script that finds all textframes in document and applies an Object Style. You must first make an object style (eg. called 'Author Caption' in the script) then run script. You can adjust the position of that via the object style as Eugene suggested. Of course your document might have other text frames that you don't want to include so it becomes a matter of filtering them by some property, which I have hinted at in the script.

function main() {

// change this to match your Object Style name
    var myObjectStyleName = "Author Caption";

var doc = app.activeDocument;
    var _textFrames = doc.textFrames;

for (var i = 0; i < _textFrames.length; i++) {
        // if you need to target only specific text frames,
        // put some test in here,
        // eg. if (_textFrames[i].geometricBounds[0] > 100)
        if (doc.objectStyles.itemByName(myObjectStyleName).isValid) {
            _textFrames[i].applyObjectStyle(doc.objectStyles.itemByName(myObjectStyleName));
        }
    }

}

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Apply Object Style To All TextFrames");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applying the same object style to all text frames in a document seems like a really bad idea to me. Presumably there are frames containing body text, frames containing headers and fotters, and possibly other frames as well. You probably don't want all of them to have the same object style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are right, Peter. But here the OP seems to have a document containing pages each with a single image and a single text frame, and just wants to be able to move the text frame. Setting it up properly with master page and layers is the correct way, as noted in this thread. But the aim of the script was just to do a quick fix to presumably save OP some time. Some scripts will never be used again. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

First of all allow me to express gatitutude for such support.

Your time is precious and you shared with me.

Thank you so much.

Now, let's talk about small things.

1) to add a style object to the "Author Caption" I must assign the name "Author Caption" to it so then the script can recognize it in all spreads (I have 122 spreads)

How I can do this?

2) I don't see the option position in my Style Object menu.... 😞

3) how can I make the adjustments and see them before creating the Style Object, I'm asking because even having the preview checken the content doesn't change.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 07.08.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply the object style to the object on all pages you don't need a script.

See my first reply where you can set the xy coordinates for the position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using your first reply to guide my steps.

The fact is that I don't have the option you have.

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 10.29.31.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-29 at 07.08.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello once again,

also, even with the preview checked, I can't see the changes in the selected element.

Is that normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the style applied to the object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alessandro Vecchi, which version of Indesign are you using?

‘Size and Position Options’ in Object Styles is available in InDesign CC 2018 release and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. From the posted screenshot it looks like InDesign CC version 9.3 or perhaps CC 2014. Could be wrong…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the CC 2015.

My mac is not that new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alessandro, here's a simpler script that simply moves every text frame in the document left by 5 units and up by 20 units. If this would be useful in your case, just change the numbers 5 and 20 to the distances you need.

function main() {
    var _textFrames = app.activeDocument.textFrames;
    for (var i = 0; i < _textFrames.length; i++) {
        _textFrames[i].move(undefined, [-5, -20]);
    }
}

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Move All TextFrames");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

The fact is that the Author Caption is the only a that I must move because it's on a "danger zone" due to number of pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines