• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mp4 video shows in indesign interactive panel does not in the page section or export

Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community.

I have placed an mp4 video on my page, it shows up in the interactive panel, and it plays there, but doesn't appear on the page. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

StefanCargoski_0-1659095879298.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Videos in PDFs are unlikely to play now that Flash has become obsolete. Alternative formats, based on HTML5, are FXL ePub, InDesign's Publish Online or the InDesign plug-in in5 (at extra cost): https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Derek, by now you should now that you can still play mp4 in Acrobat without Flash, as I explained many times over: it is a preference in Acrobat.

Would I recommend it? No, because as creator you can't control the preference for each user (well, actualy you can by implementing a script in the PDF).

https://fvdgeest-dtp.blogspot.com/2020/06/interactive-pdf-en-video-en-geluid-na.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Stefan Cargoski ,

Thanks for reaching out. In which format you're exporting? Please try the steps shared in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/movies-sounds.html 

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying.

Its an Mp4 file, or have I exported an codec incorrect? I thought because its mp4 it would play.

StefanCargoski_0-1659103265195.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the poster frame set to none. BTW, you're thinking this will work in a PDF just stop now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why wouldnt it work in PDF? I have tried all the video formats suggsted in the link what encoded files would play, but still cant play. What seems to be the reason?

StefanCargoski_0-1659149015895.pngStefanCargoski_1-1659149053098.pngStefanCargoski_2-1659149094712.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StefanCargoski_3-1659149462039.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Videos in PDFs are unlikely to play now that Flash has become obsolete. Alternative formats, based on HTML5, are FXL ePub, InDesign's Publish Online or the InDesign plug-in in5 (at extra cost): https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Derek. 

Yes I was looking at on line Youtube videos, discussions about this topic. Last time I did something in Indesign was in 2017 since my work didn't require it. Opening now Indesign again after so many years, I have missed chapters of the updated indesign functions.

Thank you for your insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, by now you should now that you can still play mp4 in Acrobat without Flash, as I explained many times over: it is a preference in Acrobat.

Would I recommend it? No, because as creator you can't control the preference for each user (well, actualy you can by implementing a script in the PDF).

https://fvdgeest-dtp.blogspot.com/2020/06/interactive-pdf-en-video-en-geluid-na.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course, I understand that, but you can't control the users' readers so it's not recommended and that's why I worded my reply carefully, in the way I did. (I like to keep my suggestions simple!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add to the other replies, here are some examples of the great interactive documents, including video, that can be created with Publish Online:  http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines