Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multilevel Tables and Figures numbering in a single document

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have one continuous document with numbered chapters: Chapter 1, 2, 3 etc. I also have numbered headings, according to the chapter nunber: Heading 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2 etc. 

I also have figures and tables that need to be numbered according to the main chapter number. So  I would like my layout to look like this: 

1  CHAPTER 

1.1 Heading 

Table 1-1: Table 

1.2 Heading 

1.2.1 Heading 

1.3 Heading

Table 1-2: Table

Figure 1-1: Figure

2 CHAPTER

2.1 Heading

2.1.1 Heading

2.2 Heading

Figure 2-1: Figure

Table 2-1: Table

I have created the lists for each Chapters/Headings , Figures and Tables. Chapters and headings are numbering fine. I have followed instructions in this thread: Solved: Figure Numbering Not Updating - Adobe Support Community - 12368872 and even downloaded the sample document and played with it, amended the ^H-^2^t  to ^1-^2 and changed level to 2 but it is not working. The figure and table numbering should pick up the number of the chapter and then an increasing number after dash throughout the same chapter but  it should re-set to 1 in each new chapter. 

Here is what I end up with - the numbering on the tables/figures continues in 2nd chapter with 1-x

Document screenshot.jpg

Here are my figures/tables numbering settings:

Figures numbering setting.jpgTable numbering setting.jpg

And here is the main Chapter setting:

Chapter Numbering setting.jpg

I have successfully numbered tables and figures this way within a Book with separate documents for each chapter, but can you please advise how do I achieve this type of numbering within one continuous document? 

I have attached my document here too if that might help. 

I am using Adobe InDesign 2023. 

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the number should include the chapter level number it must be in the same list or you need to set the chapter number manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines