• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

multiple versions.

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have 3 versions of InDesign showing as installed on my computer, 17.4.2, 18.4 and the updated one 19.4. Do I need the older ones or can I uninstall them to free  up space on my coputer?

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How badly do you need space? If it's a crisis I would suggest buying mor disk space.

I would venture to say that most of the advanced users who provide answers here tend to keep at least three older versions installed. You might not "need" them, but you might "want" them at some point because you need collaborate with another user who is using an older version, or you might want to revisit an older project for minor tweaking without the text reflow surprises that often accompany opening an old file in a new version. Once gone, you cannot re-install versions older than the l;ast major release -- Adobe no longer provides the installers or the update patches you need, and the space you recover is generally less than 2 gb per version and hard drives these days tend to run in the hundreds of gigabytes or even terrabytes of space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my own system. I have a 1tb SSD with the OS, five versions of InDesign (including CS6) installed, at least two versions each of Photoshop and Illustrator, sundry other applications, and data files for myself and clients, and I still have over 350 gb of free space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Karen38243450mjih , I archive (copy) older versions to an external drive rather than uninstalling--on MacOS I can launch the older version even though they are not in my application folder.

If you uninstall, you would have to reinstall an older version in order to run it, and Adobe only lets you install the current and previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My usual advice, if you have the room, is keep the last two versions, especially if the newest starts off a bit buggy (as is usually the case when a new version is released). I also like to keep around the OLDEST one that runs on my particular OS, mostly so I can deal wih any legacy files using Type 1 fonts (CC2022 v17 was the last that could). I also have a backup external boot drive with an older OS (Mojave) that can still run CS6 (to deal with any legacy PageMaker files. which I have 30+ years worth).

So my specific advice to you is keep the v17 for the Type 1 support. You could delete V18 now that V19 is pretty stable, but unless you are fighting for space, I'd keep all of them for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines