• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My selection tool won't crop an image correctly!!!

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My selection tool won't crop an image correctly when I drag the frame from one of the points. Instead it moves the entire image to fit the frame, resizing it vs. letting me crop what I want. This seems to be some sort of defualt when I upgraded. Anyone know how to turn this off? I am not posting images within a frame.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

It sounds like you've been using the Direct Selection tool (the white arrow) which will activate the image within the frame for moving and sizing. If you click on a point of the outer frame with the group selection tool (the black arrow) you can adjust the dimensions of the frame to crop the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lounge Forum is not for technical help, please provide the name of the program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum... A program would be Photoshop or InDesign or Illustrator or ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help would be appreciated. I can't contact anyone at Adobe, Can't find anything in the forums or online search. It's making my job very difficult to work in InDesign. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to make sure you don't have constrain crop on if  you are in Lightroom..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are using the correct selection tool. Use the black one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you've been using the Direct Selection tool (the white arrow) which will activate the image within the frame for moving and sizing. If you click on a point of the outer frame with the group selection tool (the black arrow) you can adjust the dimensions of the frame to crop the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if auto resize is turned on (checkmark in Control panel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 100% fixed my problem.

To others, make sure you have the image selected in order to adjust the setting in your control panel. auto-fit.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the correct answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMGosh - that fixed my problem!!!  TY!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This fixed the problem for me too..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FINALLY figured this out. Hope you did too. If not:

Set frame fitting options

You can associate a fitting option to a placeholder frame so that whenever new content is placed in that frame, the fitting command is applied.

1.      Select a frame.

2.      Choose Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options.

3.      Specify the following options, and then click OK:

Auto-Fit

Select this option if you want the image to resize automatically when you resize the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this helpful because, even when using just the black Selection tool, the object was re-sizing.  This fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the remedy. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines