• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help to modify indd file (in linux)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Due to the current lockout in France the person that designed a flyer for a program

is unable to access her computer, and I would need some "cosmetic" modification

on the file (some tiny text change as some of staff name changed).

Unfortunately she is not able to open it at her home, so she sent me the indd file

and the pdf she had generated.

I am working also at home with linux, and cannot find a way to access the file

nor the pdf and modify it.

I was wondering if there are any tools to convert it to something that I could use to modify it,

I tried to use inkscape or libreoffice for the pdf (it tells me the file is encrypted in libreoffice), then I tried scribus (do not know how it works), but was not able either to do anything with the pdf file and none software opened the indd one.

So if you there was a service (even just for the time being untli the crisis is over), to offer some conversion system, it would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Hi

InDesign does not run on Linux. Here are the system requirements:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

To make simple edits, you need Adobe Acrobat DC, which also does not run on Linux

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/system-requirements.html

I know this is not what you wanted to hear. Is there anyone else who can make the edits? There are 7-day free trials which is enough for the edits, but that does not get around the Linux issue.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

Il n'y a aucun autre moyen de modifier un fichier InDesign qu'avec InDesign. En revanche, on peut faire des modifications légères sur un PDF avec un bon nombre d'outils. On peut aussi exporter le PDF en un format modifiable dans Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

InDesign does not run on Linux. Here are the system requirements:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

To make simple edits, you need Adobe Acrobat DC, which also does not run on Linux

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/system-requirements.html

I know this is not what you wanted to hear. Is there anyone else who can make the edits? There are 7-day free trials which is enough for the edits, but that does not get around the Linux issue.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

It seems it could then work on linux through wine,

unfortunately after giving my credit card number to test if I could run Indesign with wine on my computer and use the 7 days trial to make the changes, It seems I can not download the software......and I can not find a way to download it.

I hope I won't get charged next week...

Anyway thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viva Designer has a version that runs on Linux. It works best with .idml, which it has long supported--where features overlap.

The new version, version 10, has added .indd support. Not as robust as the .idml support, but it does work OK with the files I have tried (relatively simple files, books & brochures).

But, only the paid-for version works for this. If you would like me to try before you buy, contact me via a private message and we can exchange email addresses. They do have a cross-grade option, so if it works for me/you, I believe the serial number for CC may qualify.

Anyway, Viva Desiger is likely your best option short of getting a Mac or Windows computer to make these edits.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re dating yourself, Mike. 😊

CC using a login with user name and password…no serial numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh heh, thanks, Bob.

Thinking about it, I think the last time I subscribed was 2015 (about a year after I bowed out of the MVP thing anyway). I liked ver. 2015...Almost had a job last year using ID but it vaporized.

But anyway, Viva has a method to verify I just don't know what it is nowadays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob said, "CC using a login with user name and password…no serial numbers."

Bob, to clarify your wording, are you saying you don't login with a SN or there is no SN? I agree if it's the former.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I hope I won't get charged next week..."

You're welcome. How are you trying to download InDesign?

Be sure to cancel the trial before the seven days are up. If you have trouble, contact Adobe Customer Care:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html
Click the chat icon in the lower right and type "agent" to get a human.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am downloading with the link adobe gives me,

then I end up with an error saying I have to update my system

and an explanation https://helpx.adobe.com/fr/indesign/system-requirements.html?x-product=CCHome&x-product-location=App...

Without being able to download the software, I do not understand why

the website is being so dummy proof, but so it seems it is (in an authoritarian form from my perspective).

If you find me another way so I can dowload the program I'd be grateful.

Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you have a supported Windows or Mac operating system, it's not going to work. End of story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in France a business is  usually  not allowed to refuse to sell something (unless you are underage for some products, or some weapons), but not if you are  an adult  wants yo buy it, maybe there is a loophole here, but if I wanted to by the software, I should be able to even if I can not make it run (I coould try to make it run).

It is ok, I will cancel the buy, and work it out from scratch with another software copying from the pdf file.

I had maybe to change about 50 characters in my file, It ends up being a lot of work, for something that should not at least in my perspective. I hope that in my work, I do not end up in this kind of situations and if I do I would correct it or try to help, instead of some lame impotent response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon,

This is a user-to-user forum. You can try contacting Adobe Customer Care:

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html
Click the chat icon in the lower right and type "agent". Please let us know if you can get it to work.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I was able to cancel the subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lame, impotent response?

You asked a question and you got an answer. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je réponds de nouveau en français puisque le fichier InDesign que tu as joint est en français. Tu écris que tu as environ 50 caractères à changer. C'est éventuellement possible avec Acrobat, s'il s'agit de quelques caractères isolés. En revanche, s'il s'agit d'un paragraphe entier, Acrobat ne sera pas capable de recomposer proprement le texte.

Autre possibilité : tu m'envoies les modifications par MP et je fais les modifs sur le fichier InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci

je vous ai envoyé les modifications que je voulais faire par MP,

je ne sais pas si vous pouvez les faire.

En tous cas merci pour votre réponse.

"Edited", J'ai ajouté le pdf généré par le fichier que j'ai également reçu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use wine to run Adobe Indesign on your Linux system. Unfortunately, it will not run perfectly, but it will do the job.

The installation will not work, so copy the installation folder from a Windows PC to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines