• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to identify, select and remove an unknown non-printing character

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in the Story Editor window and have come across a non-printing character I can not identify. It seems to be an artifact from a Word doc that was formatted unusually and seems to be causing havoc with performance. See screenshot:

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 11.02.48 AM.png

What is it, and how do I seach and replace it?

Thanks! CWS

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CreativePro.com offers a number of publications. One of them is a "Guide to Special Characters in InDesign."

That appears to be a Cross-reference Destination. 

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 9.21.40 AM.png

It would be used in InDesign if you are using the Cross-References panel. If you're not using cross-references you can probably just delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: The guide can be downloaded if you sign up for a CreativePro.com membership—which offers many benefits! (I don't work for them, but write for them occasionally.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve. I really appreciate the help. The guide actually says they’re a text anchor, something I’ve never used. What I can’t figure out is wjhat search expression to use for the character so I can use Find-and-Replace to delete all 300+ of them. CWS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find a way to get Find/Change to see them (tried copy/paste into the dialog), but you can try opening the Hyperlinks Panel and using the menu command to Delete Unused Destinations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually something that Uwe @Laubender has posted about a great deal. There's a good summary in this thread. The upshot is that you can use the Find tab of the Find/Change dialog (NOT the GREP tab) and search for <FEFF>. However, he advises against doing a Replace All, because there are acutally a number of possible things that a <FEFF> glyph can do besides being a text anchor.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel meand the TEXT tab...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aw, jeez.  Thank you Peter, yes, I mean the TEXT tab. This one:

peter.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines