Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preflight Panel error message

ID 17.4 

Windows 10 

Windows security on private VPN

I have an error message called non-proportional type scaling in the Preflight panel. The panel states I need to perform this remedy: to specify identical values for both vertical and horizontal scale in Character panel for Bullets and Numbering.

I am working in a table with bulleted text.

This error occurs when I use round bullet dot for Paragraph style. I have a new paragraph style (not based on any former style) using Darwin Pro. The bullet uses a Character style of the same family, font, size, color, and scaling (100% each H & V). 

When referencing each of these 'errors', the problem in the Preflight panel states Effective non-proportional scaling: 103.7% (horizontally) How can that be when each is specified at 100% on the menu  bar and within character and paragraph styles panel windows?

I have not scaled any of the text. It's brand new in the document and also shows this error with other fonts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Hi m quiggl47890392,

I looked into your document.

It's the glyph scaling range of the applied paragraph style "Darwin-80t bullet" that causes the issue.

If I set all three values in the paragraph style, minimum, optimum and maximum to 100%, preflight does not see an error in glyph scaling. Right now its defined as 96%, 100% and 103%.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi m quiggl47890392,

could you share at least parts of that table with an InDesign document?

Is the text frame that is holding the table scaled unproportionally?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached the InDesign file. The error shows up in the Preflight panel: Test Preflight (working) profile. If I change to the basic profile, there are no errors.

Also has this nasty dynamic spelling problem. I have gone through the whole document with spelling. It's catching those abbreviated words like ag. (period) for agriculture and wanting to make the next word begin with capitol. I have ok'd them but it still has so many of these errors. Even when I have it turned off.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi m quiggl47890392,

I looked into your document.

It's the glyph scaling range of the applied paragraph style "Darwin-80t bullet" that causes the issue.

If I set all three values in the paragraph style, minimum, optimum and maximum to 100%, preflight does not see an error in glyph scaling. Right now its defined as 96%, 100% and 103%.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are truly amazing, Uwe.

I was told a long while ago to use those figures in my justification. Looks like ID does not like that.

Smooth sailing thanks to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, I think it's either a bug with preflight or at least an unexpected behavior of the preflight function.

Preflight had an error with the first insertion point after the auto bullet; not with a specific character.

At least it says that the error is related to the bullet, but it is showing an insertion point only when I click to select the error on the page.

FWIW: At least the individual information on the shown error is highly misleading.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One would hope that the programmers now can see this bug and get it corrected.

Really...thanks for your help. It's tough being out here with no one in the company that knows anything about this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"One would hope that the programmers now can see this bug and get it corrected."

I doubt that.

Do a bug report or a feature modification request at InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Note: In a particular sense the behavior you currently see is not a typical bug.

We should ask for a feature modification where glyph scaling when done with the paragraph style's minimum. normal and maximum span could be ignored by InDesign's preflight. If that's possible? I cannot tell.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines