• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to InDesign/Why Does Preview Show Different from Book in InDesign

Participant ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, I'm not finished with my eBook yet, but in InDesign on page 2 where it says "Dedicated to: My Friends and Family", why doesn't it show when I preview it in the Kindle Reader? When I view as an ePub in iBooks it also looks nothing like it does in inDesign. I'm new to this so anything helps. Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.08.50 PM.png

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Is this a Reflowable ePub ?

You need to use Paragraph Styles for text including line spacing as carriage returns are not recognised in HTML.

You need to convert your ePub to mobi for use on a Kindle.

(By the way, maybe you should change the text that reads "Printed in the USA".)

Note, there is an InDesign ePub forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's InDesign CC 2019. I have an iMac. Yes it is a reflow able ePub. I was trying to export it to be in Kindle format though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't export it to mobi directly from InDesign, you export it from InDesign as a Reflowable ePub, version 3, and use the free Kindle Previewer (downloadable from Amazon) to convert it. Before you do so, I suggest you use the free validator EPUB Validator (beta) to check the ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Derek says, but please note that it is virtually impossible to replicate an InDesign layout in a reflowable epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

An ePub uses CSS and HTML and there are many elements to setting this up correctly from InDesign. If something doesn’t work in the ePub, you can crack it open to see and change the code that’s being written. If you format it properly in InDesign, you may not need to look at that code.

That’s the short answer. For the long answer, watch Ann-Marie’s title on lynda.com (LinkedIn Learning):
InDesign CC 2018: EPUB

She will walk you through what you need to know, including converting to .mobi for Kindle once the ePub is in good shape.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to InDesign EPUB forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines