• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Number of times a certain word is repeated. How to know?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Find" field does not show how many times a word is repeated in the document, which is exactly what I want to know. It just locates the same repeated word in the file, one at a time. Help plz. Hope you all are ayt. Hugz

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

As Barb mentioned if you could let us know what you are trying to do then maybe we could help you with some good ideas. However if the need is to use the Find/Change dialog to get this information then do the following

• Search the string like "Find"
  • Enter the same string in the Change to field as well
  • Now the change all button is active, click it and the replacements will be made which will practically make no change and a pop up will display showing the no. of instances changes. This is your re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renato:

This may be accomplished via scripting, but this is not a feature that is included with any version of InDesign.

I'm trying to figure why you are trying to do this—maybe we if we understand the scenario we can come up with solution that doesn't require scripting. For example, you can index every occurrence of a word and then create a list of every page within a document or book that it appears on. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

many thanks for taking the time.

I'm working on a sports publish about all the games played by a certain national team, its lineups and its goalscorers through the 300 matches played. Therefore, what I have been assigned to do is collect all of the data regarding each and every player, so that we can with precision say that, per example, player A has featured in 57 matches and scored 14 goals. All of the raw data is inserted in the InDesign file, but counting for each and every player would take too long. A way to just insert the name of the player and have the count done automatically would be extremely helpful.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Barb mentioned if you could let us know what you are trying to do then maybe we could help you with some good ideas. However if the need is to use the Find/Change dialog to get this information then do the following

• Search the string like "Find"
  • Enter the same string in the Change to field as well
  • Now the change all button is active, click it and the replacements will be made which will practically make no change and a pop up will display showing the no. of instances changes. This is your result

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan,

many thanks for sharing your knowledge,

I'm gonna try this and then give the feedback,

Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gold. Worked as you said and solved the main concern I had.

Keep safe and stay positive.

May good things happen to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a pop up will display showing the no. of instances

Very clever, Manan!

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another scenario which led me to this page is that I have a list of names as part of a schedule and I want to have a count of how many times a certain name appears as not all employees can do the same jobs so its tough to determine if one employee is being asked to do significantly more than another. A word count feature would really be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines