• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Number the paragraphs on a distant side. while keeping the alinea.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

How to have the paragraphs numbered on the left side like this:

example.jpg

I want to have the paragraph numbered on the left, but I want to keep the alinea of the first line.

And I don't want this:

example3.jpg

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

This seems a bit "like a shot from behind through the chest into the eye", but it works for me without any extra tab in the text or find&change - just write and apply the paragraph style:

pixxxelschubser_0-1668462841909.png

Only two paragraph marks inserted in the text (pressed Enter twice)

pixxxelschubser_1-1668463023878.png

The setting is a little tricky and does not work with all values. You have to play a little with the settings and also with the number of characters in the numbering format. But you don't need extra characters in the normal text.

pixxxelschubser_2-1668463278354.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to do it would be with a 2-column table. Number in the left column, text in the right column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paragraph Style settings - indents.

Set LEFT indent and then FIRST LINE to a negative value equal to LEFT value. Plus you would need to insert extra tab in front 😉 but it can be done in bulk using Find&Change or GREP. 

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the issue: I already tried but I loose the alinea of the first line. I did not understand the second part about extra tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right - you should ALREADY have extra tab in front so no need for another one - here is the setup of the ParaStyle (with auto numbering):

RobertTkaczyk_0-1668459856381.png

RobertTkaczyk_1-1668459870242.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set the options like you did I believe, but I have a different result:
example6.jpgexample7.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to add extra TAB in front of each paragraph - as shown on my screenshots.

How did you get this indent/space before « ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry, I misunderstood, so you mean I have to press manually TAB key before every single paragraph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you've left out the tab character in your number format. It should be ^#.^tNumber format includes tab.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it was indeed ^#.^t 
But I guess I didn't get that I had to have a tab character manually before each paragraph. It will be a long work, since it is a long text. But if that was the only solution, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems a bit "like a shot from behind through the chest into the eye", but it works for me without any extra tab in the text or find&change - just write and apply the paragraph style:

pixxxelschubser_0-1668462841909.png

Only two paragraph marks inserted in the text (pressed Enter twice)

pixxxelschubser_1-1668463023878.png

The setting is a little tricky and does not work with all values. You have to play a little with the settings and also with the number of characters in the numbering format. But you don't need extra characters in the normal text.

pixxxelschubser_2-1668463278354.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! You had the secret code!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^m works with the TAB position so I think only one ^m is needed.

And why ^t after « ? Aren't « already in the text ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if that was the only solution, thank you!

There is a feature specifically for aligning punctuation in Bullets and Numbering dialog box. 

Choose Alignment: Right, increase the Left Indent and decrease the First Line Indent until you get the desired result (and keep preview enabled so that you can see it in real time). Then save the results as a paragraph style so that you can assign the formatting to the rest of your book with a single click.

2022-11-14_15-02-20.png

I wrote this up years ago and while the screen shots show their age, it still works the exact same way. 

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-aligning-punctuation-in-numbered-lists/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this additionnal trick! (I did not try it yet, I'm not at this point yet.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the main problem was in the extra space in the first line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing you didn't have time to read the post I linked to, or the answer, Robert? 

..increase the Left Indent and decrease the First Line Indent until you get the desired result (and keep preview enabled so that you can see it in real time)

2022-11-14_15-47-31 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I did 😉 from the screenshots - @giobd needs extra space after the number but before « ?

RobertTkaczyk_0-1668468930191.png

That's why @pixxxelschubser suggested ^m:

RobertTkaczyk_1-1668469061362.png

But as ^m is controlled by ^t - only one is needed.

Otherwise there wouldn't be a problem as @giobd already knows how to do "regular" indent ? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Robert Tkaczyk 

… That's why @pixxxelschubser suggested ^m:

RobertTkaczyk_1-1668469061362.png

But as ^m is controlled by ^t - only one is needed.

…

By @Robert Tkaczyk

That is not quite right. Each character [^m] increases the distance between [bullet number][dot] and the [«] character by a fixed value. The larger the distance has to be, the more characters [^m] are needed.

The tabulator only controls the spacing behind the character [«]. It does not control the character [^m].

Sorry.

As I have already written:
This is only a makeshift - but it also works without additional characters in the text.

But I am always open to better suggestions.
😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right 😞 sorry 😞 my mistake 😞 this tab must have mislead me 😞

So if OP already have tab and « at the beginning - he only needs ^#.^m^m - with as many ^m - or ^> - he needs to get desired extra indent in the first line ?

Otherwise, ^t at the end can be more problematic and ^> would be better ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are here to help.
And those who have not yet made a mistake should "cast the first stone". The good thing is that you can learn from good solutions, but even more from mistakes.
😉

Of course, you can also use ^> instead of ^t.

Or ^< or another space with a fixed width. The rule here is: Whatever you want, or whatever you need, or whatever is easiest to handle.

Many greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an addition: The tabulator in the paragraph style gives you control over the spacing of your text to the characters you have defined in the numbering format.

aab1.png

aab2.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines