• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd numbered left page & even numbered right page as a master page?

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am creating a document with opening pages before the various chapters. Text is only appearing on the right page of the spread for these opening pages and only the right pages are numbered. Another way to look this would be that there are 10 physical pages but only the 5 right pages contain text and page numbers, and only these 5 right pages will appear in the table of contents.

My normal document works well for pages 1, 3 and 5.

In order to ensure the content of pages 2 and 4 appeared on the right and had the correct number, I created another document with an odd numbered left page and an even numbered right page.

This arrangement works very well as long as the relevant content fits on one page as I can edit the page numbers and section so that I have the correct sequence. For example page 1 is a the title, page 2 is a declaration, page 3 is a dedication, page 4 is acknowledgement and page 5 is the abstract.

This arrangement does not work when content flows onto a second page. For example, the Table of Content is three pages in length, which I want numbered as 6, 7 and 8. This means that 6 and 7 need to use the even numbered right page format, whilst page 7 works with the normal odd numbered right page format. However, I cannot apply two different documents to the one set of content, in this case the 3 page Table of Contents.

Is it possible to set this up as two master pages in one document, one to apply to the normal odd numbered right page content and one to apply to the even numbered right page content?

I don't seem to be able to edit master pages to this level of detail. I set up a Master B in my original document, selected this Master and then edited the document set up info so that the page numbering started at 2 (as per these instructions - https://carijansen.com/indesign-left-pages-spread-odd-numbers/  )  but this also changed the Master A.

Does anyone have any tips?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question contains a lot of detail, but it is hard for me to visualize what you want; loosing the forest for the trees. I think this probably can be solved, but I'd need to see some screen captures of how you want to set up your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting back to me...it is a wordy question.

Hopefully this is clearer..!

Can I have a document with two masters, one master that starts page number with '1' on the right page and the other master starting with page number '2' on the right page?

In the first twenty pages of my publication, the left hand page is not in use. I am adding content to the ten right hand pages only, numbering them 1 - 10. Pages 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 work perfectly with my standard master but at the moment I am having to add the content for pages 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 to another document template that is set up to start numbering with even numbers on the right page.

This causes a problem with my three page Table of Contents (generated using inDesign).

I will upload some screenshots when I get back to my office!

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a feeling that this will probably need to be set up with sections rather than master pages. I can verify that once you post screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines