• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One bug every day? When there is a table in the article, how to keep the bottom alignment?

Advocate ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One bug every day? When there is a table in the article, how to keep the tow columns bottom alignment?

How to keep the left and right line parallel?

The left and right line, which I had drawed references line.

They are text lines, not  table rows.
Manually adjust each table height?
This should not be the best answer.

aadd.png

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Import and export , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Once I realized I totally misread the OP (dangers of trying to read the forum on an iPhone outside in bright sunlight), I agree, if the OP truly wants things to snap in any automatic way, baseline grid is the answer. That of course means you are kind of forced to align the text to where the baseline grid has been defined to be on the page, and if you are working with many different styles and leading situations, this is not going to be helpful. In fact, looking at the OP's file, their leading is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what a baseline grid is for. Explore that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dublove 

You should really invest in some even basic training - or use Google before you post a question:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=indesign+align+lines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what your issue is, but yes, there's no automatic way (yet) to say, "expand my table automatically to the width of my text column". You can do it manually of course, by selecting the table's right edge and dragging it (or Shift-dragging)  to snap to the right edge of the column. Shift-dragging expands all the columns equally whereas simply dragging the right edge just changes the last column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad @ Roaring Mouse

In this context - "left and right lines parallel" - OP is asking about baseline alignment in text columns. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I didn't say it clearly.

You're wrong, you don't understand what I mean.
I am talking about alignment at the bottom.

Ring in the text
Not the rows of table

I draw a reference line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. I just looked at your first screen shot and just saw the fact that the right side of the table didn't go to width, and went down the wrong logic completely. Ignore me!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dublove ,

indeed, the baseline grid is the right answer.

You'll define it document wide in the preferences. Then check the option to use it for your text in the applied paragraph style.

To set up the baseline grid there is a helper script setUpBaselineGrid.jsx written by Roland Dreger:

https://www.rolanddreger.net/de/9/grundlinienraster-einrichten-per-skript/#

FWIW: "Manually adjust each table height?"

No. If you like to do it for only one or a couple of tables, better set space after or space before for tables.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the baseline be solved? I do not believe.
The baseline can only be used as a reference line, you can’t force the line to the baseline

You still need to adjust manually.

Can you provide an instance document?
Thank you ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is incorrect. You can align to baseline grid manually or via the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the baseline be solved? I do not believe.
The baseline can only be used as a reference line, you can’t force the line to the baseline

You still need to adjust manually.

Can you provide an instance document?
Thank you ~

By @dublove

Align To Baseline Grid is an option in the ParaStyle definition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Once I realized I totally misread the OP (dangers of trying to read the forum on an iPhone outside in bright sunlight), I agree, if the OP truly wants things to snap in any automatic way, baseline grid is the answer. That of course means you are kind of forced to align the text to where the baseline grid has been defined to be on the page, and if you are working with many different styles and leading situations, this is not going to be helpful. In fact, looking at the OP's file, their leading is all over the map... the body copy's paragraph's style has a defined leading different than what has been applied as an override applied, as well as different leading in the table, etc, etc. So sorting that out would be way more work than simply manually adding some paragraph spacing to the paragraph near the table to skooch the copy down to line up visually.

Another option is to place the Table as a separate text block as an inline anchored object so Text Wrap can be applied and set to Skip by Leading, but by the time one figures all the intricacies of getting that to happen, a manual kick down would take less time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have your answer so I'm going to add this, just because you don't understand how something works does not make it a bug. Please do not tag it as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, maybe you are right.
I rarely use grids, maybe I have found a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines