Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One layer, multiple pages, but items disappear on all other layers

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I’m currently using the latest version of InDesign (19.4).

I managed to get the original packaged InDesign file from the previous design agency.

• The document is around 58 pages.
• The document has 2 layers.
• Layer 1 has all the items/content and Layer 2 is just some sort of a margin guide.

However, on closer inspection, I noticed that Layer 1 was ONLY showing the items/content of the specific page spread I was on, and as I clicked on any other page, it would load the items/contents of that new page on that very layer and the previous page contents would disappear (pictures attached).

Questions:

1.  Why is it doing this?
  2.  How do i or can i deactivate this?
  3.  I would like to make each page spread on a sperate layer (for ease of navigation for myself). Will I have to manually do this?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your layer structure is very confusing or not even existing. If you clean up the layers you will solve all problems regarding layers:

1. Give all layers distinctive  names.
  2. Avoid the generic layer names
  3. In all documents use the same names and order of layers.
  4. Use the layer as Bacjground, Images, Text, Folio and Running Headers at least and move your objects on these layers. 

If you have done so and your problems extist futher, ask and we will and can help you. As it is now, I see only a chaotic document structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make a separate layer for each spread say p1, p2-3, p4-5 . . . p56-57, p58 then select the content of each spread one by one and move that content to the appropriate layer.

That could be scripted but, although layers are document wide, the Layers panel is still only going to show the items on the active spread so I don't think it's going to help you much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, whilst waiting for a response - i eventually did copy content from each page spread and make seperate layers/labelling them by page numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is wrong. Layers have NOTHING to do with pages. Start working correctly and the problems are solved and  not with following crapp recommendations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

• Why is it doing this?
  •  How do i or can i deactivate this?

Hi @Nameless_01 , InDesign Layers are a document level object. The items you see listed when you toggle open a Layer item are not sublayers, they are page items and only the page items for the active spread are listed in the Layers panel.

A typical way to organize Layers is by object type—e.g., Images, Text, Footers, Background, etc.—in this example I could hide or lock all of the images on the page.

Screen Shot 37.pngScreen Shot 38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines