• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign - missing Text/ Images when Publish Online

Contributor ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a really bad experience with Indesign at moment. Been using for about 12 years, on latest cloud version.  Objects such as drawn indesign objects and svg are suddenly going missing when Publishing Online.  All since 3rd March (yesterday).  Have rolled back to earlier file version, but also having the same problems, wondering if it's a program software issue?   Any help appreciated

TOPICS
Bug , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Hi everyone!

For me it seems to finally work now!

Hope it stays this way,

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

I ran a few test using automatic and it seems to be working again? 

Have anyone else tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Hi there,

Sorry about this experience. This issue has been fixed. I would request you all to check again and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 140 Replies 140
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene, thank you for the link to where I can report bugs.. I've been looking for that all over. Anyhow, The text frames are not threaded, usually it's typed directly in the text box. We're also using the following specs:

InDesign 2022 v.17.1
Mac OS Catalina v.10.15.7

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
Processor 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Storage 2TB
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I retrieved your URL to your Publish Online document from one of your screenshots:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/9869b534-40d8-4f4c-bcfa-5c4e0b3ed34a

I'm on Windows 10 and I can see the issue as well in Firefox:

Trifold-PublishOnline-Kevin-Issue-1.PNG

The same with the Edge browser and the Chrome browser on the same machine.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please support the bug report and vote for fixing the issue:

Indesign publish online broken links and missing objects
Nigel Jones, Mar 7, 2022
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44880703-indesign-publi...

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the "Publish Online" feature for years.

Just in the last few days when I very them online the file is incomplete.

This has happened mulitple times. I've tried adjusting settings with no luck.

If I export to my computer the file is fine. 

I'll attached a screen shot. Thanks

Screen Shot .png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this happened also to someone else.

Maybe an issue in the service?

Publish online problem – documents not displayed correctly
Schuler-Gätjens, 03.03.2022

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/publish-online-problem-documents-not-displayed-c...

There is not much that I can suggest with such an issue…

Contact Adobe Support perhaps?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I publish a weekly guide for my publication as an interactive PDF. It's published directly from my InDesign (CC 2022 up-to-date) and all has been going well until recently elements (usually text boxes) have all of a sudden been popping up with these odd borders and error icons. I have no idea what they are or what they are trying to communicate. All links in my PDF are working and all images and elements are linked. The packaged PDF does not contain this error it's only in the live, online version of the document that they appear.

Screenshot 03-04-2022 18.02.53.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by a live, online version of the document. Are you using Publish Online?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes using publish online. 

The original document is a .indd (2022 CC current version), then publish online and got this error on the user-side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out the issue myself and I believe it's a bug. I've reported it to a member of Adobe's customer care team. Posting here in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Just to be crystal clear this error resulted from setting up an interactive PDF as a .indd in CC 2022 latest version as of 2022-03-04 and then Publishing Online. The error you see is visible on the user-side of the link not in the .indd.

The bug is based on the difference between hyperlinked text frames and hyperlinked text on an interactive PDF. I was hyperlinking the text and was not hyperlinking the text box the text was in. For whatever reason when I did this it seems the boxes, in the live PDF, are acting as if they should be linked but are not. The search for their link and report back a delink error (I thought it looked familiar but it does indeed seem to be the same error a .indd will show when an image asset has been delinked.)

Now if this is a bug and I'm not mistaken -- the workaround, for now, seems to be to simply link the box. Luckily for my project, this is not too difficult to do however as you can imagine this is not ideal if you have a larger body of text with multiple links in the text going to different locations.

If anyone has any other insights on this issue would love to hear them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not publish directly from InDesign to Publish Online (ie why produce an interactive PDF)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, agree with Derek, why not just use Publish Online? Supports all of InDesign's interactivity and can be viewed in any browser. Some great examples here: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. I removed all hyperlinks from the text and instead used hyperlinked blank rectangles over the words I wanted linked. Thanks for the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dylan,

it seems you are not alone.

There are several discussions now at the InDesign forum showing this bug:

Indesign Bug breaking native content and text on Publish Online
kevinw2989010, Mar 04, 2022
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-bug-breaking-native-content-and-text-on...

Indesign - missing objects when Publishing Online
Nigey-LTA, Mar 04, 2022
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-missing-objects-when-publishing-online/...

Publish online problem – documents not displayed correctly
Schuler-Gätjens, Mar 03, 2022
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/publish-online-problem-documents-not-displayed-c...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dylan,

please support the bug report and vote for fixing the issue:

Nigel Jones, Mar 7, 2022
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44880703-indesign-publi...

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @freemangrist,

We are sorry for the trouble. Multiple users have reported a similar issue. We have escalated the issue and logged a bug with the Product team. We will request you to share a few details which would really help us investigate the issue further:

• Operating System
  • InDesign version on which these files are created & modified
  • Is this happening with some published online documents or all?
  • Would it be possible for you to share the original InDesign document (.indd) in which you are facing the issue after publishing online? If yes, please package the document and upload it to the DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or similar service and share the download link here or via DM with the publish online link of that document.

Also, I would request you to upvote this UserVoice (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44880703-indesign-publi...) if not done already.

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to complain about Adobe's service.  I've been using the InDesign Publish Online facility for past 8 months which has been rock-solid and excellent (actually an adobe software user for at least 20 years).  However on 3rd March everything went wrong - when publishing online, objects were missing, images, text, indesign drawn objects - this was all totally random and extremely worrying as I have a project to deliver to clients after 8 months of work!

After wasting hours talking on chats, also in support forum I had to work it out myself. It appears that server maintenance is impacting Publishing Online, hence all the missing objects within my online docs (see screen print below).  Nobody at Adobe was going to tell me about this, they just kept asking for files, asking me to do trials with them, send them files, they seem particularly obsessed with SVG problems, etc., when it was patently obvious what the problem was.  This problem has persisted for 5 days so far - I don't know how, as a professional offering a service to clients, that I could justify this type of disruption.  It wouldn't have been so bad if Adobe had given me some sort of notice of impending issues due to server work - but nothing.

Nigel

Server failure.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nigel,

thanks for that.

Just like I assumed, the servive is the issue. Not the InDesign version or the published contents.

I now have access to a document that is failing and I'll try to find a specific cause and a workaround if that's possible.

Yesterday I did some tests with my own material and failed to replicate the issue.

Ah, I see that you already did a bug report at Adobe InDesign UserVoice.

Thanks for that. Everyone facing the issue should vote for fixing the bug there:

Nigel Jones, Mar 7, 2022

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Is there any way someone at Adobe can provide a completion time for the server work - I know you're not an employee, but I'm sick of talking to Adobe on their chatbot, just waste hourse of time.   At the moment I'm unable to launch my web app and it's worrying to say the least - can someone confirm the problem and give a rough completion date

Regards

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is going to be just another bug to fix and it will get fixed whenever the engineers get to it.

While Publish Online is a brilliant and FREE service, I only use it as a quick tool to show clients an approximate idea of what a fixed layout epub would look like. 

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Nobody has any idea how long something like this might take to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I hear you, but if Adobe provides this as part of their subscription, then I would assume it would need to function correctly or else why provide it?  I've never seen Adobe say that Publish Online is free, so you can't expect it to work all the time!

Are you saying I should be using epub instead, but it doesn't support all the animation stuff does it. Also, is that hosted on Adobe too?

Regards

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying I should be using epub instead, but it doesn't support all the animation stuff does it. Also, is that hosted on Adobe too?

Regards

Nigel

By @Nigey-LTA

EPUB is an open-source file standard that Adobe doesn't have any control over.

Comparing the different publishing standards/technologies and your options:

• PDF: although originally created by Adobe circa 1990, it is now open source managed (aka, controlled) by the ISO (International Standards Organization) and the PDF Association (www.pdfa.org).  However, Adobe dominates the creation and management of all PDF standards within those 2 organizations. Animations and Audio/Video are dicey with PDF (at this time). Best option is to embed a link in the PDF to the A/V on a website. Embedding the A/V directly in the PDF is problematic.
    • You own the PDF content.
    • You can use the PDF anywhere...on a website, in an email attachment, publishing it worldwide or keep it private.

• Publish It: is an Adobe publishing utility via InDesign. Totally owned and controlled by Adobe. Proprietary.
    • You own the content. (However, my lawyers have reviewed the EULA and that might not be the case. For example, they told me that nothing in the EULA prevents Adobe from mining the content and extracting user data or other data for their commercial purposes.)
    • You can only publish the document via their servers.
    • And it's questionable whether you'll have access to your published content if you discontinue your Creative Suite subscription.

• EPUB: created by an international consortium (DAISY), it has always been an open source standard. Now developed and managed by the WWC (World Wide Web Consortium). And yes, it can have animations as long as it follows traditional standards for web audio/video.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Now that I tested the InDesign document from Anna of this other thread I see no issues when I do Publish Online. Nothing is missing. So I'm not sure anymore if this is just a server issue on the Adobe side or if something is wrong on the user's side. Could also be that data from Macs are handled differently than data from a Windows machine.

However, I can see missing links when I open the temp HTML folder that I copied from my Temp folder of my user.

See my comments and a screenshot of the result:

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble and inconvenience caused by this issue. I understand how frustrating it isOur engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

I would request you to upvote this UserVoice (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44880703-indesign-publi...) and add your comment there if not done already. By doing this, you will keep on getting updates about the issue.

Even after collecting information from multiple users, we still couldn't replicate this issue at our end. Would you mind sharing the following details so we can investigate the issue further:

• Operating System
  • InDesign version on which these Publish Online documents are created & modified
  • Is this happening with some published online documents or all?
  • Would it be possible for you to package and share the original InDesign document (.indd) in which you are facing the issue after publishing online? If yes, please package the document and upload it to the DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or similar service and share the download link here or via DM.
  • Please share the "Publish Online" link of the documents.
  • Please share a small video demonstrating the issue. It would be really helpful.

Also, I would request you to share the Adobe email ID (only via DM with me) used in the InDesign app from which the document is published online.

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Note: Marking this as correct to highlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul said: "Even after collecting information from multiple users, we still couldn't replicate this issue at our end."

Hi Anshul,

I have access to a document by Anna from this other thread and also cannot replicate the bug.

So I wonder if some personal settings of InDesign could be the cause. For example like setting InDesign's Color Management to "Emulate InDesign 2.0 CMS Off" or something like that. Just a guess. Of course I tested that, but had no issues with the results.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I had Johnny from Adobe's technical department run through all the colour settings to check this, he found no problems with colour settings.    We went through a range of scenarios, and he could see the problem when logged into my system.

Really do hope Adobe are taking this Publishing Online issue seriously

Regards

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines