Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opacity Changes the color of other items on the page

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when I reduce opacity of a rectangle frame tool on a page in indesign the fill color of the other rectangle frame tool on the same page changes (becomes darker). When I make the opacity %100 the color turns back to its original. 

appreciate any help

thanks

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might experiment and see if all the elements on your page agree as to basic color model. I like to be all one way or all the other when it comes to graphics being RGB or CMYK. Also check under Edit > Transparency Blendspace as to which way it goes. Also, you might check the document setup for intent of either print CMYK or web RGB.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mike, my document setup for intent is "print" and transparency blendspace is also CMYK. I don't know what's the problem. This is the first time I've encountered such a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you have inadvertently applied an Object Style that's now the default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek, but the answer is no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MDDSGNR , When there is any transparent object on the spread the spread is previewed in the chosen Transparency Blend Space. If you have it set as CMYK, out-of-gamut RGB Colors will preview as they would print in the document’s CMYK space. Also, Grayscale  images will preview as they will print on the CMYK Black plate.

If the destination is for print the CMYK preview is more accurate—in general it’s a good idea to turn on Overprint Preview when the output is print, so that even pages with no transparency are previewed as Document CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MDDSGNR ,

Rob already gave you the "why"…

To make it possibly more clear:

The colors will not change if you add transparency ( e.g. through an effect ) to an object on the spread. Also objects on the pasteboard do count! And objects on all other pages of a spread.

The only thing that will change is the preview of the elements. The actual color does not change.

This goes for all InDesign documents that are created with Print Intent where the default value for Transparency Blend Space was not changed.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Laubender ,

The color absolutely changes into darker tones. When I get PDF of the indd file I can see the darker (changed) colors on the pdf. By the way when I remove the images with psd, ai, eps extension on the page the colors of the table or other objects such as rectangle frames turn back to their original colors. There was no such problem before the last two updates. May be later updates might fix the issue.

Respectfully

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The color absolutely changes into darker tones."

Hi @MDDSGNR ,

not in InDesign. If you see this in an exported PDF the color was transformed with the export process.

You could export to PDF/X-4 without any color transformation or transparency flattening and the values for your RGB colors will stay as they are in InDesign.

To check this use Acrobat Pro with the Object Inspector in Print Production's Output Preview.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSDs and AI files can also contain transparency—a PSD without a Background layer would be considered a transparent object. The CMYK Blend Space forcing a CMYK soft proof is not new, you can change the Blend Space to RGB if want an RGB Preview, but if the document is printed it’s colors will still be flattened into the output color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a caution about eps graphics. They cannot color manage, and so might conflict with the rest of the layout in terms of color management. I recommend you convert them to .ai files, which can color manage. 

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines