Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

order of appearance

Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When an EPUB was opened for the first time, pages 3 and 4 appeared.

To make EPUB start with page 1, I used the Articles panel.

But I still see pages 3 and 4 (THE GOLDEN BIRD, not title).

Am I mistaken?

Hosun

Books appBooks appScreenshot 2022-11-28 at 4.58.28 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-11-28 at 5.00.40 AM.png

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Okay, it looks as if you are doing everything right, but (among other things) I don't see an article for the first chapter.

I think the EPUB is opening on what it sees as the first page, the first page of a section with an <h1> tag. A simpler doc structure would automatically put things in correct order, without the Book export being "second guessed" in the EPUB structure.

I think you are multiplying all the problems by trying to maintain this as separate INDD files and using the Book featur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

I suggest you combine ALL content into one file, from the inside title page, a copyright page if you will include one, the TOC, and then start Chapter 1.

There is no advantage to keeping these files separate in a simple, flowing book layout from one author/designer. The only reason to break up books into individual INDD files is when the book is large, complex or being worked on as separate elements by multiple contributors.

One file makes it very easy to manage, and even easier to export co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the pages in the correct order in the EPUB? That is, is your page 1 the first page, and pages 3-4 pages 3 and 4 in the EPUB?

And what reader is showing this anomaly? As noted before, use a generic/standard reader like Thorium to test your EPUBs, not iBook, ADE, etc.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I flip the pages with the arrow keys, every order is OK.

Pages 3 and 4 appeared, when EPUB was first created from the book panel.

I just guess h1 tag might be working.

Hosun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the file for the first time (try renaming the EPUB file to force it to do a fresh load/open, without stored page information), it should open to page 1. I wouldn't worry about how it opens immediately after export if a fresh open takes you to the right page.

What style do you have applied to the title on the first page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is some information.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 5.59.52 AM.png

And when I opened the EPUB from Books app, I see pages 2 and 3.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 5.52.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, it looks as if you are doing everything right, but (among other things) I don't see an article for the first chapter.

I think the EPUB is opening on what it sees as the first page, the first page of a section with an <h1> tag. A simpler doc structure would automatically put things in correct order, without the Book export being "second guessed" in the EPUB structure.

I think you are multiplying all the problems by trying to maintain this as separate INDD files and using the Book feature for integration. You will lose nothing by making it a single document, and with your otherwise good structure (ordered styles, etc.) the EPUB export issues should go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reduced 4 indd files into 3 and got the current EPUB.

I will combine Chapter01 and Chapter02 into a single file. I think it will give a better EPUB, as you said.

Thank you very much for your comment.

Hosun

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 6.47.07 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suggest you combine ALL content into one file, from the inside title page, a copyright page if you will include one, the TOC, and then start Chapter 1.

There is no advantage to keeping these files separate in a simple, flowing book layout from one author/designer. The only reason to break up books into individual INDD files is when the book is large, complex or being worked on as separate elements by multiple contributors.

One file makes it very easy to manage, and even easier to export correctly to EPUB and Kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tagged chapter title (THE GOLDEN BIRD) with h1.

Hosun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines