Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

‘Out of Gamut’ Warning

Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question;

Why does the ‘Out of Gamut’ Warning appear only on RGB? My understanding was this was out of the gamut to what can be produced with ink or within CMYK anyway – So, for me, this has nothing to do with RGB so why does it appear here?

RGB:

CMYK:

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Gamut warnings apply ONLY when you work in RGB. They show you colours that can’t convert to identical CMYK. So you could never see a gamut warning if you’re already in CMYK. If converting to (or printing) CMYK definitely isn’t in your future the warnings can be ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post makes no sense to me. Would you care to clarify it with details?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry i was suppose to include images

here you can see RGB is giving me a out of gamut warning;

1.JPG

But CMYK isn't;

2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gamut warnings apply ONLY when you work in RGB. They show you colours that can’t convert to identical CMYK. So you could never see a gamut warning if you’re already in CMYK. If converting to (or printing) CMYK definitely isn’t in your future the warnings can be ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, this answer is very clarifying. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles:

It looks like you tried to post screen shots, but they didn't appear. You can drag screen shots into a reply or use this button:

JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

Are you starting with HEX colors? If so, this article may be helpful.

https://indesignsecrets.com/the-swatch-panels-stealth-feature.php

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you can get a gamut warning in Photoshop IF you convert to CMYK in one profile but preview in another, wider-gamut CMYK profile (however slight the difference may be). For example, I converted an image using the default SWOP 2 profile and previewed the color with a FOGRA27 profile--lots of out-of-gamut areas. (I keep my images in RGB, so this isn't normally an issue for me.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

weird question: why does photoshop try to tell me my image is out of gamut when it's a scanned image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines