• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outlining a stroke in InDesign: Can it be done?

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have outlined an object in InDesign.

I want to outline that stroke and then unify the resultant shape. (Essentially eliminating the stroke but leaving the thickness)

This is a piece of cake in Illustrator, but can you do it in InDesign?

Please say yes. : )

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Guide , Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

I´m sorry to say, but as far as I know, there is no way to convert stroke to shape in indesign. Why dont you do that in Illustrator and drag&drop result to indesign? You will have it as native graphics....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate , Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

If it's a simple graphic, you can simply cut and paste back and forth.

If the graphic is simple enough it will stay a vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate , Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

If it is a simple rule, not a curve, you can quickly recreate the line as a shape within InDesign.

Find the Length and the stroke weight in the control panel.

Select the frame tool and click on the page.

Set the Width and Height to match the length and stroke weight.

Set the stroke color to none and the fill as needed for the art.

If it is not a simple line, the other posts about outlining within Illustrator is the way to go.

Copy within InDesgn

Paste into Illustrator

Outline the shape

Copy and Paste ba

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m sorry to say, but as far as I know, there is no way to convert stroke to shape in indesign. Why dont you do that in Illustrator and drag&drop result to indesign? You will have it as native graphics....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a simple graphic, you can simply cut and paste back and forth.

If the graphic is simple enough it will stay a vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a simple rule, not a curve, you can quickly recreate the line as a shape within InDesign.

Find the Length and the stroke weight in the control panel.

Select the frame tool and click on the page.

Set the Width and Height to match the length and stroke weight.

Set the stroke color to none and the fill as needed for the art.

If it is not a simple line, the other posts about outlining within Illustrator is the way to go.

Copy within InDesgn

Paste into Illustrator

Outline the shape

Copy and Paste back to InDesign.

HTH

-mt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone.

Well looks like the anwer is not yes. : )

The back and forth with Illustrator is what I usually do.

Call me crazy but it seems circuitous in light of the power of InDesign to do so many other things.

I was hoping for something closer to one stop shopping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this really is crazy that you have to switch apps for such trivial action. A similar thing is convert text to curves which is already in Indesign so I don't see any reason why convert stroke to shape shouldn't be there as well.

Adobe? Why it is still not there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When there are literally thousands of features each in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, it's impossible that all of those features can be replicated in each program. Or it were, they would balloon up to a terrifying size. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well but this is really a basic vector feature and I find myself needing it in lot of situations in Indesign. It is not some fancy vector effect or bitmap editing which of course have their place in other apps...

Although there aren't many reasons not to merge Indesign an Illustrator at some point in the future... ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use the "Pathfinder" tool to cut out any shape to make it look like an outlined stroke.

1. Create a circle or any shape as a path NOT a stroke.
  2. Copy and "Paste in Place" the shape so that it will overlape the first shape and make it a totally different color.
  3. Adjust the size of the new shape so that you can view the first shape as a stroke. 
  4. Once you've chosen how thick you want the "feux stroke" to be, select both shapes.
  5. Open the "Pathfinder" panel.
  6. Click the "Subtract" feature
  7. Booyah... you have yourself an outlined path. 🙂

www.vernellartanddesign.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add an outer glow to the stroke via object styles and then set the color and opacity or multiply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work, Adobe. Over a hundred thousand views of this question since 2009, and you STILL haven't added this incredibley basic functionality to InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does anyone know of a script (July 2021) to outline a stroke? Within InDesign, of course.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines