• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page panel numbering wrong

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphic designer creates indd files for catalog - then I take them and turn them to pdfs for online -  never had a problem in the past with CS6.

Now we have CC - so I am in Essentials mode (as usual), but when I open a section of pages, the numbering is different than gr. designer has numbered.  So her pages numbered 8 -12 in the Pages panel is numbered 1-5 on my computer - which makes it confusing to say the least.

I am IN "Start page numbering at ...  " and it will say 8 or 12 or whatever it should be - but in the pages panel to the right, it has the pages as 1, 2, 3 etc.

I've looked everywhere and can't see why this is happening - anyone know?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

DING DING DING!

Gr. designer figured it out -- I had to go to InDesign>Preferences>General> and then choose  Page Numbering/Section Numbering.

Fixed it.  Even though I visited there earlier today and saw nothing change - well, it did now.  So, thanks again for all of your helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't remove the very first section - that's perfectly normal, we both - Barb and I - already mentioned this. However, your page numbering should restart at 8 . See my screenshot:

PNumbs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The numbers were sequential before you removed all the sections, that's why they didn't change.

More importantly, if you double click the icon for page 1 (it turns blue), you can't right click with your cursor still over the icon and choose Numbering and Section Options?

Screenshot 2017-10-24 12.31.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can open it - that is the screenshot on the right above there -- its where it says "Start Section" that can't be chosen, it is grayed out.

And ok, so it is supposed to be grayed out?  Ok, -- well still numbers haven't changed - hmmm

If this is how all of our future catalogs are, my job is going to be very difficult. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is where I am:  latest screen shot:

No sections -- and nothing has Allow Document Pages to Shuffle nor Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle...   first page set to Start numbering at pg. 8.  But nope.  And I'm sure the graphic designer is creating the same way as always, and I've always been in Essential mode - so why should it make a difference if we are doing it the same way as we always have in the past..  (in CS6, CS5 etc)

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 3.04.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't completely understnd what you were saying here but I did it anyways and it worked.... lol thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this. I set all my page numbering for multiple documents that are going to print next week. I had an issue running a script afterwards so I trashed my preference files, then this morning I noticed all my numbering vanished but the chapters and settings were still there. This saved my sanity, thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very grateful for everything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I freaking love you... I searched hours and hours and wasted so much time, should have googled it first. Thank you!!!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines