• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph rules that start after text without using ident and bump to next line with soft return

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possuble. You can have a rule that starts after the text. So that I can use as a paragraph style. Seems there would be a setting to do inverse. If not, consider this a feature request.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 12.17.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-21 at 12.19.58 PM.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Hi @TTOWN71:

My variation is a right-align tab with an underline as the leader character. The lines look broken in InDesign but will print and export as a continuous line. If you move the tab stop, the line will adapt.

~Barb

lines.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this will work for you, but I use right-indent tabs with an underline applied (which can be applied as part of a style) for making forms which is waht it looks like you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TTOWN71:

My variation is a right-align tab with an underline as the leader character. The lines look broken in InDesign but will print and export as a continuous line. If you move the tab stop, the line will adapt.

~Barb

lines.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd use a right tab (shift-Tab) with a GREP style that gives character style "Underline" to Right-tab. Using a Character style for Underline gives you total flexibility as to teh style and position of the lines through the Underline Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using a nested style that applies no style up to a right indent tab (Shift+Tab), then an underline character stlye up to the next End Nested Style character. Press Shift tab at the end of the line, thn add a line break (Shift+Enter) and another right indent tab for each line you want to add.

When setting up the nested style use ^y as the trigger for the style, since you can't select a right indent tab from the pop up menu of available conditions. You can actually enter anything in that field, you are not limited to what is in the menu.

Screenshot 2021-11-22 at 12.31.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Create an underline character style. Use a stroke style from the stroke panel.
  2. Apply a character style  via GREP style to \y.
  3. After the dot and a space use shift-tabulator to get the character style working to the end.
  4. With the other lines use shift tabulator to get the whole line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've spent decades using a right-hand tab with the underscore character as the leader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines