Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

paragraph styles

Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is a folder in Paragraph Styles: ToC.

ToC has three paragraph styles for Table of Contents.

Should I define the Export Tagging for them?

or

Can I go with the default parameters (Tag: [Automatic])?

I am not sure; whether I should define the Export Tagging for ALL Paragraph Styles.

Hosun

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 4.23.56 AM.png

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

If the styles are used in the export (EPUB, I assume), the export settings should be reviewed and set if appropriate. If a style is not exported (for print only, or the like) it should be unchecked in the export list and the export tagging will not matter.

It is not usual to export or include an in-text TOC in e-books. Better to let the dynamic TOC do its job, and better.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Export tagging is essential but... flexible. Unless you are going to completely define a style in CSS, with no defaults or base style elements assumed, ID should export CSS for that style. (That is, the badly named "Emit CSS" box should be checked for it, in either the style's Export Tagging pane or the overall Export Styles menu.) If the style is a default (which shouldn't be used in layout) or peculiar to print or editing notes or the like, unchecking it will reduce export clutter. (Any conten

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the styles are used in the export (EPUB, I assume), the export settings should be reviewed and set if appropriate. If a style is not exported (for print only, or the like) it should be unchecked in the export list and the export tagging will not matter.

It is not usual to export or include an in-text TOC in e-books. Better to let the dynamic TOC do its job, and better.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply.

In Screenshot below, “header cell para” is applied to a text in table. The table is within the text flow.

I think; Export Pegging for EPUB doesn’t matter in that case.

Am I right?

Hosun

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 5.42.19 AM.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Export tagging is essential but... flexible. Unless you are going to completely define a style in CSS, with no defaults or base style elements assumed, ID should export CSS for that style. (That is, the badly named "Emit CSS" box should be checked for it, in either the style's Export Tagging pane or the overall Export Styles menu.) If the style is a default (which shouldn't be used in layout) or peculiar to print or editing notes or the like, unchecking it will reduce export clutter. (Any content, and the empty style, will be exported, but without CSS).

Whether you leave the export tagging at the default or overrride any of it, such as renaming the style to something more suitable at the HTML/CSS level, is up to you. The content, the style and the style definition will all be exported then.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines