• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create paragraph styles with the headings each on different column (split to 3) with text?

Participant ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I create paragraph styles with the headings - each on different column (split to 3) with text under each?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Hi Hendy:

As I said earlier, InCopy allows the designer to create an InDesign file and manage the formatting, while allowing others (editors and copywriters) to work independently on the content by checking out files, working on them and checking them back in. This sounds like exactly what you want to do.

However, like any modern application, there is a learning curve on using the InDesign/InCopy workflow and it appears that you haven't yet taken the time to figure it out. My suggestion is t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the headline style with span column.

In the keep options define to keep together with the next style.

Define the next style, in the headline style, and the ordinary style.

The text frame has to have an object style, 3 columns are defined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

How can I but in a column break into a style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define a style and make in the keep options the option to stsrt in a new column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, the text disapears when I do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few ways to add column breaks. Here's a demo of @Willi Adelberger's suggestion:

2024-07-08_07-41-09 (1).gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I tried, but look what happens!

The 'directions' style is what I want on the next column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if the Keep Options setting is cascading to child styles, such as your body text. You need to break that chain.

One way is to set the "Break to Next Column" in the heading. All the text will break to next pages, or into overset text. Now work down your other styles and set the keep options to "Anywhere" — at some point you'll have that cascade down other styles and make the job easier.

As a fundamental design point, you should never have headings and body styles cascade ("Based On") from each other. Create a base body style that is based on "No Paragraph Style," and use it as the parent for all your body variations. Then create a base Heading 1 (or equivalent), also from "No Paragraph Style," and then create all similar headings as children of that.

Using cascading styles and settings is a very efficient practice — but not if you have settings you want on heads cascading to body styles, or captions, or cell text, or any of the vice-versa. Keep your hierarchy of styles organized.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying, 

Where do I find the "break to next coumn" option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in Barb's montage of above but might go past too quickly to see:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1721233471814.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I've been doing all along, but I need the "directions" onto the next column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For each style you want to break to the next column, set the drop-down choice to In Next Column and save/update the style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I've been doing all along, but look what happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't it work when I do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I can't quite tell what the structure of your page is, since you have the margin etc. guidelines turned off. (When you take example shots, it really helps to have all the guides showing, along with all hidden characters.) But I'll assume you have a simple two-column flowing layout.

Without having your document to examine, I am still pretty sure what's happening is that you are changing the column break setting for the heading, and that change is cascading down to your other styles, which are (somewhat improperly) "Based On" your heading style. So you set the head to break to next column, and those child styles also break to next column as well.

Make the change to the heading. Then go through all your styles and check that same settting, reverting it to "Anywhere." That's the simplest process, although I think I outlined some better ones above.

Headings should never be the parent of body styles, nor vice versa.. They should be separate chains or hierarchies, if linked at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the stlyes on based on the heading.
It seems like it's all messed up! I've never had this before!
What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, the behavior is EXACTLY as if you are changing the half-boxed text (instructions?) to "break to next column."

Make sure you are selecting the right style to apply the break.

After you apply the break, check the style for those instructions, and see if it's somehow migrated to that style.

Beyond that... I'd have to see a sample file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm almost there...

I think the issue is now that the bullets are as separate paragraphs...
How do I keep them all as part of 'directions' - to me it seems as it is.

Can you work with the file i attatched?

thank you for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Hendy374084080dng:

Create a second paragraph style—directions 1st. Set that to Next column. The 2nd and subsequent steps should remain direction, set to start Anywhere.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you could simplify this by using a 2-column frame:

• Food title: Next page, span columns
  • ing shaded: Anywhere, span none
  • directon 1st: Top of Column, span none
  • direction: Anywhere, span none

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed exactly what you wrote for styles, but I'm not sure why it's not allowing the '1st direction' to apply.

It keeps on jumping back to 'direction'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Hendy374084080dng:

TBH, I initially had the same experience. I then copied/pasted the text and it worked as expected.

2024-07-22_06-19-08 (1).gif

The .idml file you you send has linked InCopy files and the links are missing—those are all the red circles/white question marks. Can you locate/check the missing files back in? 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which text did you copy?

Also, why do I have so many incopy files, how can I get it all in one.

It's one doc in incopy. I'm confused...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Hendy374084080dng:

I copied the Cream of Chicken Soup recipe and pasted it on a blank page. At that point, it worked as expected.

Let's start here: why are you using InCopy? Offices use InDesign and InCopy to allow multiple people to work on the file at the same time. Typical worklow: a designer creates an InDesign document and then allows copy writers and editors to check out articles out to work on, and then check them back in when they are done. This allows the designer to maintain control over the document layout and delegate the writing and editing to others. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/incopy.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using incopy so that the copywriter and chef can both edit the text while I work on the design.

Regarding copying the text - is that the only option? I can't afford to do that to my whole document.

Why is it not workin on this file??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines