Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parent Pages Missing from Panel But Still Applied in InDesign

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have set up a document with parent pages. 

Before, I was able to see the parent pages A-C on top of the document pages in the panel, so I could edit them.

Now, the parent pages have disappeared but they are still applied to the pages. So I cannot edit the parent pages as I don't know how to access them.

In the panel options, parent thumbnails are activated.

I don't know why the disappared.

How can I get them back or how can edit the parent pages without seeing their thumbnails?

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 11.48.52.png

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 11.53.33.png

<Title renamed by MOD>

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Try to grab down the thick grey line at the top of the panel. I think that the parent pages are hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to grab down the thick grey line at the top of the panel. I think that the parent pages are hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! So simple but I would have never figured it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! So simple but I would have never figured it out!

By @sophmi

It's indeed hard to figure out due certain unfortunate UI decisions made by some software companies (including Adobe, Apple, Microsoft and other).

The problem is that there's now no indication whatsoever that split bars are actually split bars and not static lines. Users now have no way to know that those lines are actually moveable split bars. Users now have to tests for movability themselves by placing the cursor above the line and see if the cursor changes to a "draggable" type. In your case, the user wouldn't even suspect that this bar can be moveable at all.

This faulty UI approach started plaguing software some 15 years ago. Prior to this, split bars were usually clearly marked as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i love how they update the programs all the time and move, delete or otherwise make the software harder to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines