• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parent versus Master

Enthusiast ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that InDesign now uses Parent pages whereas in the past, they used Master pages. The process of adding page numbers to either Master or Parent remains the same.

I have a previously created document that uses Master pages and the term still shows on the document, but I am unable to add a page number using: Create a Text Box and from there, Type, Insert Special Character, Marker and Current Page number.

If I create a new document, Parent now shows and I process as mentioned above: Create a Text Box and from there, Type, Insert Special Character, Marker and Current Page number the page number is added.

So it seems my issue is the previously created document that shows Master, is the issue? Can anyone explain why this is happening and how I can continue to paginate an older "Master" document?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change was entirely one of internal nomenclature, not of any features. You should be able to manipulate Parent pages just as you did Master pages. If you can't, try the cleanup of exporting to IDML and re-opening the document. Whether the bug is related to the name change or some other minor corruption of the file, that should fix it.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by elsewhere, this was a change of nomenclature only as part of the InDesign 2022 release. Adobe has a statement here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/why-have-master-pages-in-indesign-been-renamed-t...

That said, it isn't updated in the "fixed" features of Adobe's Uservoice (which is where users can add bug reports/software improvements or suggestions) - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/41270401-re...

Ultimately, parent pages/master pages are the same thing, only the name changes. If you're having difficulty with the contextual menu information, the keyboard shortcut for add page number is shift+option+command+n

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your comments. On further investigation, I have found that I can create a text box, say for example 1/2" square. I can then follow the process of creating a page number. The page number is in fact being inserted but I have to greatly widen the text box that contains it, in order to see it. As large as 3" wide. No change in height required to see the page number.

What would prevent a page number from appearing until I do this step?

After inserting the page number, my 1/2" square text box shows the red outlined box with the red +, indicating the too much text or text font to large to fit the box, but there is nothing more in the text box except the small page number.

I suspect there is something obvious that I am overlooking?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things, both pretty basic.

First, you can't put any elements on any ID page, Master Parent or live, without a frame to hold them. If you were trying to place a page number on a page without creating a text box... won't work.

Second, it sounds as if the paragraph style spacing is pushing the text number out of a small text frame. Check the style applied and its spacing, and (I suspect) you may find the left or top spacing is unnecessarily large, forcing you to expand the box to see the number.

FWIW, I rarely put page numbers in any kind of small frame, but usually a column(s)-width frame at top or bottom, even if I don't include other header or footer info. Leaves room for "more" later if needed. 🙂 If you need the page number centered or right, use (preferably) tabs or text alignment to put it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the other comments and explanations, here are screenshots of page numbers inserted on a Parent page and how that looks when applied to a spread. I usually run text boxes to the content width in case I later want to center the page numbers. I adjust the text box height to fit. In the text frame options, I typically set Vertical Justification to Align: Bottom, so I have that consistent baseline. Make sure the Paragraph Style applied to the page numbers on the Parent page is correct.

JainLemos_0-1643048842178.pngJainLemos_1-1643048858541.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you saying this has changed with the nomenclature change? It looks to be the same practice/result I've always used, back in the Master days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As stated by elsewhere, this was a change of nomenclature only as part of the InDesign 2022 release."

It was officially announced as 1 of 3 new features:

InDesign MAX update (17.0) | Capture Panel, Scalable UI, Inclusive Terminology and more!

"That said, it isn't updated in the "fixed" features of Adobe's Uservoice"

In the linked by you thread there's answer (of thread author) which confirms its 'character', and that internally it has own (dev) team. Additionally we're free to vote to improve / correct it: Nov 03, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Heirloom Bob:

It pertains to your formatting—but we can't see it so it is hard to be specific. I can tell you that the page number fits within a .5 in x .5 in text frame in a new default document when I just tried it. I'm happy to look at the file if you would like to share it so that I can give you a specific answer. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines