• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Part of placed photo is not showing

Enthusiast ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a problem with one of my placed images. Part of it does not show in InDesign. I have tried saving the photo as PSD. JPG, TIF -- the same prolem happens.

In the Links panel thumbnail, the whole photo appears correctly.

When I place the photo, while it is still in my cursor thumbnail it appears correctly.

But once it is placed on the page, part of the photo is missing.

I found that if I open the photo in Photoshop and drag it into InDesign, the photo displays correctly. But NOT when it is placed.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Have you investigated for the presence of an old clipping path?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you placing it into an already created frame? If so you need to enlarge your frame to show the rest of the picture. 

Don't drag the image from photoshop.

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

---

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

----

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried placing that same photo into InDesign CS6 and it had the same issue. The area that is not showing is a yellow/orange color. If I save just that yellow area part of the photo separately, it places and is visible in InDesign. 

I could use the solution of placing two separate pieces of the photo into InDesign, grouping them and putting the group into a frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if the image is correct in the frame. Fit frame to content: Object > Fitting > Fit Frame to Content

Don't drag an image directly from Photoshop to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Will. The whole image is showing in the frame, but that has not fixed this strange issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd bet tyhe frame filling options for your default frame are set to Fill Frame Proportionally. That setting is going to always crop off part of an image that is not the same aspect ration as the frame (it takes the smallest dimension of the image relative to the frame and scales it to the corresponding dimension of the frame and cuts off part of the other dimension of the image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope someone at Adobe will chime in. This is a very strange issue.

The top image is what it looks like when placed. The bottom image is what it actually looks like. I happen to have a pale blue rectangle on the page, and that is showing through in the top photo where the yellow is supposed to be. In other words, the yellow area becomes transparent when placing into InDesign. 

I have tried saving the file in different formats, as RGB, as CMYK, nothing changes the strange outcome.

I have many other placed images in that same InDesign file and they all place correctly.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like a mask being applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or possibly the yellow area is on another layer and your object layer options are set to hise the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file with us so we can actually look at it? It's pretty much impossible to analyze a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a flattened image. Why did you save it as a PSD? Additionally, when I asked for the file, I meant the INDD along with the graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like there's a Blend Effect on the image frame or the graphic itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A basic feather is applied to the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remove the basic feather the disappeared part of the photo is still a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you investigated for the presence of an old clipping path?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike is correct. There is a clipping path in the .psd and your import options are set to use it. Re-import the photo and show import options so you can turn off the clipping path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A huge thank you, Mike! And thank you to Eugene, Will, Bob and Peter for your ideas!

At last the problem is solved -- and I learned from all your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines