• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste without Formatting in Tables - InDesign CC

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if you can copy information from a formatted table in one inDesign file and paste it into another table that has different formatting? Typically, when you copy from one table, the formatting of the table it resides in, is copied as well, so it changes the formatting of the table you are pasting the copy into (even if clipboard has the text only option checked).

Thanks,

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

How do you paste? Try using Paste without Formatting - Shift+Ctrl+V in Windows (Shift+Cmd+V on Mac, I think).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you paste? Try using Paste without Formatting - Shift+Ctrl+V in Windows (Shift+Cmd+V on Mac, I think).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. It is command/shift/v on a mac but nothing happened. I also tried using pull down menu under Edit but Paste without Formatting was grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly you do it? You must copy text, then select text you're going to replace but keep its formatting, then hit the command.

Edit:

What if you try (test) this with simple text (not in a table)? Can you make this command to work at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes copying text that is not in a table does work. (My process was this: I selected a row in the table that has the text I want, hit command C, then when to the file I want to place the text in, selected the row of the table where I want it and hit Command/shift/V).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you know when you just copy a row in a table, the formatting of the table copies, too, which I don't want, because it changes the formatting of the table I'm pasting into requiring me to then change it back. Time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, entire row, that's the problem. Nope, you can copy only cell by cell this way, otherwise Paste without Formatting won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi winterm ,

it's not cell by cell, it's selected text in cell by selected text in cell.

A workaround for a selected row of cells would be:

Copy, switch to TextEdit.app

Paste to a file where preferences are set to text-only.

Deselect.

Select the text in TextEdit again.

Copy the selected text.

Switch to InDesign.

Select the first cell in the row you want to copy your text to and paste.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

it's not cell by cell, it's selected text in cell by selected text in cell.

Oh yes, sure, I wasn't accurate, sorry for that cutting corners at the small hours...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer marked as correct on here is in fact incorrect. The option to Paste withthout Formatting is not available (greyed out) when working with multiple cells from a table. To paste multiple cells from one table to another in InDesign you first have to paste into a secondary application to remove the formatting, then copy and paste from that app into InDesign. Excel or OpenOffice work well as the secondary app.

Select multiple cells in Indesign -

CTRL+C to copy them

Open a blank spreadsheet in Excel or OpenOffice

Click any cell to highlight it

CTRL+V to paste

Select all the populated cells in the spreadsheet

CTRL+C

Select the cells in the destination table in InDesign 

CTRL+V

You should now have the data copied across, but retaining the formatting of the destination table

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CJC Williams ,

well yes, nothing has changed.

For more details see my reply above from September 2018.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To paste multiple cells from one table to another in InDesign you first have to paste into a secondary application to remove the formatting, then copy and paste from that app into InDesign. Excel or OpenOffice work well as the secondary app.

That works, but creates a lot of unnecessary steps.You don't need to leave InDesign to do this.

If you covert the source table to text, you can copy a row of tabbed text, and use Paste without Formatting to fill the table row. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines