• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Path for "Recent Items"

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2024 May 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The InDesign list for recent items shows only the file name.  How can I see the paths for "Recent Items" available to re-open?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @lowellnelson , I don’t think you can do it via the UI.

A startup script could log recently closed document paths to a text file. I can post an example if you want to give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Rob. I would like to see your example.

Lowell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are 2 script examples. Copy LogRecentFilePaths.jsx into your InDesign application startup scripts folder and restart InDesign. It writes a list of file paths for recently closed files to a text file also in your startup scripts folder. The length of the list depends on the Number of Recent Items to Display you have set in File Handling Preferences.

The 2nd script, ReadRecentPaths.jsx will display the list. You can install that in your Scripts Panel folder and run it from your Scripts panel. It dislays the list as a dropdown:

Screen Shot 8.png

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/cfxb2fe3cw80j9b0mjkrs/AN1Sxu1pxTI0N-G-M-cQCMM?rlkey=6wdfpjeaia1ko7qcw...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite what you are asking for, but a lot of folks are unaware that you can right click the filename (on the Tab bar above the document window) on an open file and choose Reveal in Finder or Reveal in Explorer.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't tell us what operating system you're using.

If you're on a Macintosh, the Default Folder utility is priceless for quickly selecting recent folders:

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 6.29.43 AM.png

It's kept up-to-date regularly and is one of my most used utilities:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, I think @lowellnelson is looking for the file path not the file name. I’m guessing it’s because InDesign’s Open Recent file list is also a list of file names, and if the file has been moved or trashed there’s no way to know what its original path was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you get Default Folder, you're not dependent on the limitations of keeping track of file paths becasue Default Folder takes care of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Default folder, and if I move a recently opened file it gets removed from the list. I’m assuming @lowellnelson wants to get a reference to a recent file that has been opened, but moved.

Screen Shot 10.pngScreen Shot 9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Steve and Rob.

I'm using a legacy InDesign running in Yosemite vpm via Parallels on iMac Pro with Sonoma 14.1.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using a legacy InDesign running in Yosemite vpm via Parallels on iMac Pro with Sonoma 14.1.1.

By @lowellnelson

While it's not related to your question, make sure to update to the latest Sonoma - macOS 14.5 - to avoid all kinds of potential problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines