• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF exported from Indesign show up with 0 bytes on Google Drive

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two of our colleagues are experiencing the same problem: when exporting a PDF from Indesign directly into Google Drive Desktop, the files for other colleagues are showing up as 0 bytes. 

So when exporting to PDF, the PDF is always 'damaged' because it has 0 bytes, while the 'background tasks' in Indesign aren't showing any problems. 

Next, when the owner duplicates the '0 byte file', it's working fine (🤯). The file get's synced and can be opened by all other users.

It's only an issue with PDF files exported from Adobe Indesign directly on Google Drive Desktop. 

• When we export to .jpg, .png there is no trouble at all. 
  • When saving an indesign of illustrator file (not a PDF), it just works.

Does any one else have or have had the same problem?

Some info:

• Macbook Pro m1 2020 - Ventura OS 13.2 (22D49)
  • Adobe Indesign CC 18.1
  • Google Drive Desktop version 69.0.0.0

Feedback I've received from Google:

I was able to check our internal database and I see that we are aware of this problem when saving PDF files directly with Indesign. It seems that the problem is caused by Indesign itself since it does not occur with other programs. But I hope the problem will be solved as soon as possible with an update of Google Drive for desktop or an update of Adobe InDesign. I think it would be useful to periodically check both programs for updates. Unfortunately there is no solution at this time. My advice for the time being is to save the PDF files locally and then move the file to a location in Google Drive.

My ticket: https://support.google.com/drive/thread/199174521/pdf-exported-from-indesign-show-up-with-0-bytes-on... 

Other users experiencing the same issue:

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I would check for is illegal characters in the file name. If that's okay, be sure that all users have any smart sync features turned off.

This certainly doesn't sound like an InDesign issue to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suspect Google Drive is the culprit. Over the past few years, users of Google drive experience far more problems that any of the other cloud services. Using Dropbox, by comparison, is much more reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur. I use Dropbox and OneDrive and I've had zero issues with either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 we are encountering this same issue. Since latest indesign update, PDF files generated from indesign will not sync to google drive. They work fine from illustrator , so i am chalking this up to Indesign, NOT drive.

FYI this is mac specific too, we tried same process on google drive for windows and the file initially shows as 0kb, but then changes to correrect file size and subsequently syncs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not how troubleshooting works. If the PDFs are fine everywhere else, it's Google Drive that's the issue. That out of the way, if you'd like to provide full details on the issue and exactly what your workflow is, perhaps we can be of some assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. Yes, this isnt the most thorough of testing for sure. But the PDFs are showing abnormalities OUTSIDE of drive. Its clearly some strange interaction between MacOS, INDD, and Google Drive.

For details.

• PDFs saved from indesign to desktop or any mac foider are showing as 0kb,
  • This is causing drive to think they dont have any content and wont sync them. 
  • Duplicating the file in finder then causes it to show proper file size and then syncs

As stated by OP above, Google is saying its an adobe issue, Adobe is pointing at Google, and we're just scratching our heads here in the meantime LOL

Maybe we should all point at MacOS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will refer back to my original response here. A 0KB file could easily be caused by any kind of smart sync feature which downloads files on demand. Do you have that turned off? Also, be sure you are not using any illegal characters (any character that is not supported in Mac AND Windows) in the file names. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No illegal charchters. And PDFs saved from any other adobe app sync/save fine. Its just PDF files saved from Indesign for some reason that are having this issue. NOt saying its not the sync softwarr, but something about the way indesign is saving PDF files is causing san issue compared to AI, PS, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I work on both a PC and Mac. I usually created the Indesign doc on my mac and save to google drive for desktop. The file looks fine when viewing on my Mac, but when I log onto my pc the pdf file is 0 kb or does not have the current version. I can copy the file from Macbook and paste into google drive on PC and it is fine. Here are some screen shots to show what's going on.

The first is from my Macbook showing the 2 pdf files in the Google drive folder.

The second screen shot is from my PC. Taken one minute later. Note the date modified column for both the Indesign file and PDF created out of Indesign "FC_Products_May_2023.pdf". The date is March 6, where on the Mac the date is March 13.

"FC_Products_May_2023-2.pdf" is the copied file.  "FC_Products_May_2023.pdf" is the pdf file created out of InDesign.  Macbook Screen Shot.pngPC - windows 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's the one showing it as zero KB on the Windows machine? What if you create the PDF on Windows and then check it on the Mac?

Honestly, this strikes me as a Google Drive problem and quite possibly a configuration error. InDesign is the last place I'd be looking. And judging by the cloud icon, I'm guessing you have some kind of smart sync enabled. Turn it off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know where I can find the smart sync setting? Like are you refering to Creative Cloud settings? Google drive settings? Mac system settings-iCloud?

I fixed the zero kb pdf, so there wasn't an example. I recreated the issue and here are those screen shots. I see there is a cloud without the down arrow on the 0kb file. PC PDF test.pngpdf test on mac.png

And I tested creating the PDF on the PC and it shows up fine for the mac. 

PDF on PC - showing on mac.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use it so no, I don't know where those settings are. I don't even know what it's called but it would be a feature that keeps the file in the cloud and downloads it on demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called cloud streaming and its used to prevent terabytes of cloud storage being downloaded to the machine. it can't be turned off in some instances due to storage limitations.

As a community expert i'd expect a little empathy when assisting others. if you don't use these specific technologies then i'd be wondering why you are trying to half fix a problem.

Either way I am having the same issue with 5 of my users, and whilst your idea of moving to another cloud storage solution might work , that won't be practical in an enterprise sense, we have found saving the document locally and exporting it to the cloud works (in a sense) it's by far a reasonable solution.

@Rishabh_Tiwari Has a solution or hotfix been deployed for this yet ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where exactly did I not show "a little empathy?" What exactly did you expect me to offer except input and as much assistance I could honestly help with based on 30 years of experience?

As for your "by far a reasonable solution," did it occur to you that the OP's organization won't allow them to save locally? If you want to provide help, then by all means do so. In many cases, issues like this are puzzles with multiple participants providing different pieces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Opi16B8 ,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Would you mind testing another workflow to identify the cause of the issue? Please try exporting a simple file without any text, just a shape with fill in it, and let us know if you can export the file as a PDF on google drive.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rishabh_Tiwari Thanks for the feedback and test idea. That file was visible on both computers. Here are the screen shots:

Simple file test on Mac.pngSimple file test PC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming. Would you mind confirming the type of fonts used in the files? I'd recommend testing a few other fonts and see if it's happening with files with some specific font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the icons to the far right, here's what I see (and I'm guessing at what those icons stand for):

Impact - Open Type (O icon)

Beloved sans - Creative Cloud (cloud check mark icon)

Geneva - True Type (T icon)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rishabh_Tiwari I went Avatar and tested a file using Papyrus (T icon). Still 0 kb on pc. Fine on Mac. Then I did a couple more versions using various fonts. All are 0 kb. font test.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a Dropbox account? OneDrive? You certainly have a CC account so here's what you do...Export the PDF to each of those on the Mac. If they sync properly and you can see them on the Windows machine, I can't even begin to think of it being an InDesign or Adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested using a desktop Dropbox account and it worked fine. I'm thinking this is an issue with Google drive. Curious why a simple Indesign file with no text PDF saved to Google drive. And I don't understand why some files have a cloud icon, some have a cloud icon with an arrow. Not sure if this is a factor. Very frustrating because Google drive was working without issues when my team started using it about a year ago. No one else on my team is experiencing this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I don't use google drive but I have to assume that there is some kind of smart sync feature. Find it and turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to chime in that I'm having the same issue. Been occuring for at least 3 months. It's extremely frustrating since other coworkers need to comment on my pdf files. I also received the same reply from Google. Let me know if you get any resolutions!! ty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue - we just sent a whole bunch of out-of-date versions to print because of it. We're having to work around by saving EVERYTHING locally, but this is a massive pain right in the production. This is definitely some weird Apple silicon x Indesign x Google Drive issue which may finally lead to me migrating from Google!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines