• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFs are blurry when importing to InDesign

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing pdfs (texts and pictures) into indesign and they end up being blurry. I have tried View > Display Performance > High Quality Display, but it still does not change the blurriness of the pdfs. Can someone help me in how to import pdfs so that it's not blurry? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application are you using to create the PDF files? Happen with every file  or only certain one? What InDesign version? What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a macOS Mojave Version 10.14.  It happens on all of the files. Not all, but most of the pdfs were created from google docs and exported as a pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Google Docs. What setting are you using to create the PDF file? Maybe someone more familiar with the program can help choose the proper settings to create a good PDF file. It's probably not something that InDesign would have any way to fix (:"garbage in, garbage out").

Can you post one of the PDF files you're trying to place (and provide us a link to download) so others can test it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay makes since. When I am in google docs, I just go to file and download it as a pdf. Here is the link of some sample files.

The first one is just a pdf not from google docs: Example (dragged) 4.pdf - Google Drive  This one is from making a pdf from google docs: Test (1).pdf - Google Drive

Thanks for your feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kelly, are you using File > Place when you're importing the PDF file into InDesign? That's what you want to do. Are you trying to copy and paste them into Indesign? That could be the problem.

I downloaded and viewed both PDFs both in Acrobat and in InDesign and can't see any problem with either of them.

I placed "Test(1).pdf" into InDesign (File > Place). This is what it looks like zoomed into 400% (very sharp):

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 7.05.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,  it worked after using file place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Zoom level are you viewing at? Maybe you are over estimating your display’s resolution capabilities?

The preview for any PDF is a relatively low res proxy, so text zoomed out is never going to look perfect. Here’s 40% vs Steve’s 400%

Screen Shot 5.png

Screen Shot 6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the feedback. It's working on my end now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelly,

just tested your PDF samples.

Like Steve I see no issues with the display of the placed PDFs.

How did you set Display Performance of your document?

Test "High Quality". You can change the preferences to always show "High Quality" with:

Preferences > Display Performance > Default View: High Quality

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. I checked to make sure in my preferences that its in high quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines