Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place Word Document including bullet points

Engaged ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

I am on the latest InDesign on Mac, and the latest Word / office 365, and I have a problem.

I have a document with a lot of bullet points inside Word, but when I place it inside InDesign, I get a strange character instead. What am I doing wrong here, and can it be corrected?

I have tried to select the strange character to change / delete it, but I cannot.

CleanShot 2022-09-24 at 17.00.48@2x.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

ID should be able to find Symbol, but the correct fix here is to define ID styles for the bullet paragraphs and assign a bullet symbol there, one that is accessible. Even Calibri, if you're going to continue using that in the converted doc, has some nice little symbols. (Which you can tweak in size, position, color etc. using an associated Character Style.)

—

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

You can replicate this in InDesign if you wish by setting the bullet to a character style with Symbol as its font. you msy also choose another bullet character.

(Here is a video on how you can change bullet https://youtu.be/zsnCIjYTxGE)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @UlfLaursen:

That square typically means that it's a character that's not available to you in InDesign. You can replace these bullet characters by assigning bullets (or better yet, paragraph styles that include bullets) in InDesign. Find/Change can greatly speed up the process if you have a lot of these.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be possible to change the character even if it is missing (in the selected font).
You can use find/change to find your bullet lists in the "Find Format" section.
In "Change Format" you can select the style of bullet you like (applying both character and paragraph style if you like, and this would be the preferred way to work.)
What is the character and font of the bullet in word? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys!

@Lukas Engqvist  It turns out that the font itself is Calibri, but the "bullet font" is Symbol.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID should be able to find Symbol, but the correct fix here is to define ID styles for the bullet paragraphs and assign a bullet symbol there, one that is accessible. Even Calibri, if you're going to continue using that in the converted doc, has some nice little symbols. (Which you can tweak in size, position, color etc. using an associated Character Style.)

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can replicate this in InDesign if you wish by setting the bullet to a character style with Symbol as its font. you msy also choose another bullet character.

(Here is a video on how you can change bullet https://youtu.be/zsnCIjYTxGE)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buld up the paragraph style with fonts and bullet points available.

With bullet points you should use a dedicated charcter style. When you build the bullets, choose the Character Style in the Bullet section of the Paragraph Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot again guys.

Since this document was not that big, I ended up making a new bullet point style inside word with the bullet of the calibri font, but I have learned a lot, thanks!! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines